Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical advice needed... Brake Discs

OK, I've been bad, I know...

I have ignored the squeeling, by turning up the stereo... and now paid the price.

A completely wrecked disc on the passenger side. To add insult to injury, I also have a completely seized piston on the same caliper...

I need to replace the caliper as well as the disc, the bores have been polished twice already, so I'm probably on a hiding to nothing...

I have bitten the bullet and purchased new discs, calipers and two sets of brake pads.

As this is my daily driver, and its doing a lot of miles at the moment, I need to get it sorted sharpish... TonyN is booked solid and taking a holiday... (hope you both have a great time!) meantime mine is driveable, just really poor at stopping (if at all)....

So I need to swap the discs, etc... how easy is this, I know what to do... just wanted some practical advice... do I do it myself, or pay someone else to do it...?

It's not too bad a job. It took me one day to do the O/S and half a day to do the n/s, bat that was only becasue I was learning as I went. I couldn't get the disc off the hub without an impact driver (but that could have been from my inaptitude). I did find that you need to disconnect the steering from the hub, which is tight because the bolts are done up with thread lock, and you need to support the weight of the caliper which I did with good ole cable ties. I'm not sure whats involved in changing the calipers as I've not got to that point YET.
    But do remember after you have done the job your brakes are nearly non exsitant until they have bedded in.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

I was under the impression that you needed to remove the hub and bearing etc. to get the disc off.

That to me woud be the hard part, the caliper is already off, just need to undo brake hose & reconnect???

From the way haynes manual put it, removing the disc was much more complicated than the caliper.
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

the discs are the bits I am worried about... 'cos Tony is unavailable... for a month... do I put up with shredding a set of brake pads and waiting for the month, or find someone local that can do it and probably fleece me for it.

got my head round the other bits...

Comment

You have to spilit the Disk from the Hub. Its a BUGGA of a job if you've not done it before
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
            the discs are the bits I am worried about... 'cos Tony is unavailable... for a month... do I put up with shredding a set of brake pads and waiting for the month, or find someone local that can do it and probably fleece me for it.

got my head round the other bits...
            Could try Quickfit? they do it all on a fixed price, quite often without knowng what they're getting themselves into.
            Or maybe ATS or one of them types, they usually do a reasonable job at normal car money.

Try here.http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/brakecalipers.htm

and here;http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/brakes.htm
            Last edited by plumb bob; 18 April 2007, 22:29.
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

KWIK FIT or ATS would'nt have a clue in my Opinion.
              (\__/)
              (")_(")

Comment

Its supposed to be just like all the other Toyota hilux pickups... at least the IFS ones... so not too far a stretch of the imagination...?

Comment

Been searching cant find the writeups but heres some pics that may help.
                  Just watch the Cone washers as they fly out at you.
                  More info here http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6173
                  Last edited by marky; 18 April 2007, 22:46.
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

Here you go Andy............

http://hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showth...t=cone+washers

Top tip: If the cone washers won't come off easily, drape a rag over the whole assembly and give the disc a whack with a hammer and the washers should 'ping' off and be caught by the rag.

Saves hours crawling around trying to find them.
                    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 18 April 2007, 22:52.

Comment

If I managed it then pretty much anyone can.
                      You do have to remove the hub from the axle, but each step is a logical progression of undoing nuts..
                      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Working...
                      X