head help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head help please

hi guys am getting closer to being back on the road now after 3 weeks of cracked head syndrome .finally got the bottom pulley off sunday without damaging the rubber 'balancer' anyone needs to borrow the kit in bedford area more than welcome.
    anyway im now after some info,after searching i found the head bolt torque to be 1)78nm
    2)90 deg
    3)90 deg
    is this correct? some material says they arent stretch bolts and others say they are ? also does anyone know the correct tightening sequence of the bolts as theres about fifteen of em im getting new ones anyhow, would people recomend a smear of copper ease on the thread and under the heads of the bolts or just leave em clean and dry?
    now onto the cooling issue, whats the best coolant people reccomend, is the toyota 4 life coolant good enough or safe to use in the 2.4 surf? has anyone tried a water wetter additive, am renewing the pump,t stat switch and cap also just to be sure also i think i took my timing belt off 180 degrees out with the diesel pump and camshaft out are the timing marks at 6 o clock for the cam? cheers guys the fun starts here,only a few grey hairs appearing so far
    DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Originally posted by WARRIOR72
    hi guys am getting closer to being back on the road now after 3 weeks of cracked head syndrome .finally got the bottom pulley off sunday without damaging the rubber 'balancer' anyone needs to borrow the kit in bedford area more than welcome.
    anyway im now after some info,after searching i found the head bolt torque to be 1)78nm
    2)90 deg
    3)90 deg
    is this correct? some material says they arent stretch bolts and others say they are ? also does anyone know the correct tightening sequence of the bolts as theres about fifteen of em im getting new ones anyhow, would people recomend a smear of copper ease on the thread and under the heads of the bolts or just leave em clean and dry?
    now onto the cooling issue, whats the best coolant people reccomend, is the toyota 4 life coolant good enough or safe to use in the 2.4 surf? has anyone tried a water wetter additive, am renewing the pump,t stat switch and cap also just to be sure also i think i took my timing belt off 180 degrees out with the diesel pump and camshaft out are the timing marks at 6 o clock for the cam? cheers guys the fun starts here,only a few grey hairs appearing so far
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/php_lib/d...ile.php?uid=47

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/att...6&d=1083708389

Comment

cheers i found the top thread couldne find the other one sancho thanks, anyone got any suggestions about the other questions,mind you it is only 10 o clock

Comment

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewt...ghlight=torque

Lubricate the Head Bolts with a little clean engine oil.

Nev

Comment

I use toyota premixed red coolant.
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Cam timing mark should be at 6 o/clock.

Nev

Comment

You new head gasket should come with torque settings and sequence (18 bolts ). I use normal blue antifreeze, but you should flush it well if it had red coolant in it, as they don't mix and go sludgy if its not clean. I normaly plug a hose in the heater valve pipe, and leave it running, putting the cap on to back flush the matrix, then shut the heater valver and take the cap off to flush the rad.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                Cam timing mark should be at 6 o/clock.

Nev
                Like this?
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                  Like this?
                  no nothing like that mines all oily and covered in rust very nice. thanks guys for all your help much appreciated..i think thats about it for now no doubt ill be back

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    You new head gasket should come with torque settings and sequence (18 bolts ). I use normal blue antifreeze, but you should flush it well if it had red coolant in it, as they don't mix and go sludgy if its not clean. I normaly plug a hose in the heater valve pipe, and leave it running, putting the cap on to back flush the matrix, then shut the heater valver and take the cap off to flush the rad.

aah yes mine has the red stuff in it heard it goes sludgy,and dont mix well with blue. is there a drain on the heater matrixes front and rear? i presume even though ive taken the rad off that there will be quite a bit in the block still and the heater matrixes (or is that matrii??!) any brand youd recommend in particular? dont mind the cost if it works to the surfs advantage cheers tony(and ppl)

Comment

Working...
                    X