Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best advice for increasing power

Hi all.
    I was wondering what the general concensus about increasing power. At present I have a 2.4 diesel Surf and am finding a noticable lack of power going up hills (and im not towing anything either). On the flat no problems but hit a hill and she just slows down.
    Is this due to needing new injectors? Or (as someone told me) is the Emission Control computer strangling the engine? She doesnt smoke(only if really floor it off the lights and kick the turbo in she puffs a little) and compression is good. Your advice would be greatly appreciated before I start throwing money around.
    Cheers
    Kiwibro

Recommended solutions to 2.4 Surf lack of power:

1. Take up Zen meditation, and complete your journey in an oasis of calm (i.e. slowly), serene in the knowledge that the journey is the reason, the destination the excuse...

2. Sell it and buy a 3 litre.
    Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

hey there kiwi

i also have a 2.4 and i notice this around the 50 mph area and also on those long hills....

two options short of getting a bigger engine try the ect button to hold the previous gear a little longer or hit the o/d off button,

these may result in a little smoke but the speed does increase a little and it seems a little easier on the engine...

hope this helps

graham

Comment

Try EGR mod and pack the wastegate actuator out with 3 x 1mm washer on each bolt.

Comment

I have found alot of discussion on the EGR in these forums so I might give that a go. Glad to hear others have had similar problems.
          graham78 thanks for your help but mines a manual and i dont have the o/d button, but will pass that info onto a mate, hes got issues with his auto hilux too.
          Also is changing the injectors a f**k of a job or can mechanically minded person give it a go?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by kiwibro
            I have found alot of discussion on the EGR in these forums so I might give that a go. Glad to hear others have had similar problems.
            graham78 thanks for your help but mines a manual and i dont have the o/d button, but will pass that info onto a mate, hes got issues with his auto hilux too.
            Also is changing the injectors a f**k of a job or can mechanically minded person give it a go?

Cheers
            you should be able to do it yourself ok but make a note of the order the bits come off or you could blow the glowplug relay
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
              you should be able to do it yourself ok but make a note of the order the bits come off or you could blow the glowplug relay

Oh dear Richard, you've just nominated yourself again.

Read the bl00dy posts properly man!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                Oh dear Richard, you've just nominated yourself again.

Read the bl00dy posts properly man!!
                Hmmmmmmmmm

What is going on ?, Richard and Jason appear to want to be in yet another vote
                Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Cheers
                  Changing the injectors is explained here
                  http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/injectors.htm

Comment

Hi all.
                    I was wondering what the general concensus about increasing power. At present I have a 2.4 diesel Surf and am finding a noticable lack of power going up hills (and im not towing anything either). On the flat no problems but hit a hill and she just slows down.
                    Is this due to needing new injectors? Or (as someone told me) is the Emission Control computer strangling the engine? She doesnt smoke(only if really floor it off the lights and kick the turbo in she puffs a little) and compression is good. Your advice would be greatly appreciated before I start throwing money around.
                    Cheers
                    Kiwibro
                    To be honest mate theres no cheap solution to getting more power!
                    The reason for being slow up hill is that you dragging how ever many tons of metal an rubber up a hill!
                    Best bet is to pay for a Stainless steel exhaust, a big bore one!! Gives So much more throttle response! an should even out the dead spots!
                    Then An intercooler! will give all round better performance! especially during winter!!!
                    There are a few cheap mods out and about but you probably wouldn't notice any difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X