Occasional Knocking noise but at camshaft speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occasional Knocking noise but at camshaft speed

I have an occasional knocking noise from my 94 2.4 surf but it's not big ends as the nocking is too slow and light, if you know what I mean. The noise seems to be half engine speed(camshaft speed) and only happens occasionally. It has a new head on it which was how I bought it and to be honest I hav'nt really had time to look at it as I have a few projects on the go at the moment. This is just a post to see if this is a regular or previous post subject.

Is it CLUNKING,TAPPING OR KNOCKING?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

It's a knocking but a lightweight knock as if the camshaft was really worn but then goes away. I would'nt say it was a small end as it's the wong speed but as I say, i hav'nt really looked at it in depth, just doing a preliminary while I'm at work and bored.I am asuming that the valve clearances are shims otherwise it could be a dodgy hydraulic follower. Do/Did any UK spec Toyota's use the 2LTE engine as I need to get a manual for the engine spec such as torque figures, clearances etc.

Comment

Mine sounds like it has a sticky lifter. It only does it when it's cold. I started about a year ago and would last 2-3 seconds, now a year later it lasts upwards of a minute or so, but it doesn't tic constantly. It tends to tic for a couple seconds, then stop, the tic for ten seconds, then stop , then a couple again, etc. Nice and quiet when she's warm though. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I live in Canada and these are not common place here. Only a small handful of mechanics will even touch them.

Comment

Sticky or worn injector?

Comment

Working...
          X