yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine breathing oil quite severely......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine breathing oil quite severely......

God damn it.... Just been to the mechanic and he said that the engine on my surf is 'breathing' oil into the turbo and is causing the cut out as I mentioned the other day. APparently my oil leak is from the bottom of the turbo :o(.

He said I need a new engine or at best just to use it for tootling around.

He said not to use it on the motorway incase it starts racing away from me and the revs go really high until the engine blows up.....

Anyone here got any comments on this? I am gutted but might just keep it for pottering around like I was anyway....

What would you guys recommend? Should I take it to Steve-o for a second opinion?

I bought it second hand in a private sale - do I have any comeback?
    www.myspace.com/conandoomconan

Originally posted by Razorhoof
    APparently my oil leak is from the bottom of the turbo :o(.
    I don't think you've been told enough, the turbos often leak from the oil fitting on the bottom of the turbo, this is just a bad gasket, if its breathing oil the intake pipe should be full of oil, and it will be smoking like a bugger, if the turbo seals are shot the intake before the turbo should be clean enough ( you always get a little oil in them) but the pipe from the turbo to the intake manifold will be oily, or it will be leaking directly into the exhaust pipe if its leaking on the exhaust side and still making lots of smoke.

If your intake hoses are OK and seal properly, any oil in the intake can't drip out externally.

If you pull the breater pipe off the rocker cover and put it in a catch tank and it stops smoking from the exhaust then you do have a worn engine. Anything else is just the turbo.

It shouldn't have anything to do with it cutting out, if there was so much oil in ti that it stalls the turbo, it will be smoking from the exhaust like a tyre fire!!! and the turbo may stall and the diagnostic light will come on as the turbo pressure will be down, can't see how it will make it cut out though.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Personally I would get it to Stevo or Tony pronto
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Ah ok, well my tears, into the vegetable soup I had before, may have been needless then.............?

I am going to call Steveo tomorrow then and arrange a time to get it looked at...

Does anyone have his number please?

Comment

Just say that the car does smoke actually - but only when the aforementioned stalling occurs. It happens when I am at a standstill and the idle revs start to dip below 500 and then it smokes, if I put my foot on the accelerator before the engine cuts out it's fine - otherwise the revs bounce around 500 rpm and then die altogether. There is no smoke on start up, and no smoke when driving and definitely no smoke on idel aside from when it does this stalling I mentioned.

Does it sound like I might be ok here? I 'almost' cancelled my holiday to go buy a new engine before but I shall take it to Stevo if you guys reckon I have been misinformed?

Please advise.

J.

Comment

Oil catch tank is a good idea, get them on ebay, these engines are fairly bullet proof, but do require on going maintenance due their age and the milage.
            I doubt that this is terminal, so get it to someone who knows about these engines.
            Stevo has a link on the site, under "links" I think.
            Hope this helps.
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Ok cool, well I will speak to Tony tomorrow then.

Thanks for calming me down - worth the £10 annual fee alone.

J.

Comment

Smoke and stalling is far more likely to be a fuel problem than anything to do with breathing oil.

Stevo's number is here:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/members_p...evo/index.html

If you need a new engine in a 2.4 you're probably better off junking it and buying a decent one.

Comment

I know mate, the car runs absolutely fine and the guy who I bought it off only had it a year.... He bought it off an importer / car dealership who themselves replaced the head gasket and timing belt etc so the chances of it being a dud are slim. He only tootled around in it selling weed to divvy's from Warrington.

There is definitely still an oil leak, not a big one by any means but enough to annoy me, but the car runs great aside from the stalling..... Which I am confident is air in the fuel system!!!! He didn't even sort that for me LOL!!!

I am going to speak to Stevo tomorrow and see what he has to say. Why can't I just have air in my fuel system and little bit of an oil leak.... ARRRRGGGGH :o).

By the way, the oil leak is from the front drivers side corner of the engine - or at least that is where the puddle ends up. Is there anything significant about this?

Comment

Stevo won't help me guys...... He put the phone down on me and said "I don't want to get involved in this....'.

How funny is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Razorhoof
                      Stevo won't help me guys...... He put the phone down on me and said "I don't want to get involved in this....'.

How funny is that?

He's heard about you then!

Comment

Yeah probably but I have also let him down once by not turning up when I arranged to and, quite rightly he has phucked me off.

I am still in shock about what my mechanic told me yesterday - if he is wrong... how can be be SO wrong? And why would he go so out of his way to tell me something that drastic if it wasn't true?

The thing is, he didn't even charge me for having a look which is odd - maybe he just couldn't be arsed?

However, I am paying to have the fuel system purged of air (regardless of what the guy yesterday said - it DEFINITELY only started after they replaced a seal on the stop switch - it actually happened for the first time about 2 minutes after I left the garage following the repair......

I am getting that looked at Friday by a different mechanic who is also going to check out my fuel leak.

I take it I have gained a reputation as the website knobhead then ?

Comment

It sounds like you need to find a mechanic you can trust.
                          Tim
                          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Well, the guy I am taking it to is situated behind my girlfriends COnstruction Business's office on the Wirral. He maintains their fleet of vans and is a REALLY good friend of her Dad's so fingers crossed......

Orignally I didn't want to use him because he was quite expensive but they are going to put it on the company account so whoopdee doo :o).

Free mechanic for Jonny :o).

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

If you pull the breater pipe off the rocker cover and put it in a catch tank and it stops smoking from the exhaust then you do have a worn engine. Anything else is just the turbo.
                              Hi Tony,

would we be talking worn rings?...vavles?..

or a combination of everything?

S
                              sparkz
                              http://www.elite4x4.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                              X