Fuel Pump.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump.

Hi guys, I am a newbie here so would appreciate some help please.

I have a G reg 2.4 Surf that has a faulty fuel pump, Toyota want approximately £165 plus vat. I have been told that a standard Hi-Lux pump will interchange with the existing, is this correct and if so do you know where and how much I can get one for?

Thanks in advance for your help

Originally posted by samsun
    Hi guys, I am a newbie here so would appreciate some help please.

I have a G reg 2.4 Surf that has a faulty fuel pump, Toyota want approximately £165 plus vat. I have been told that a standard Hi-Lux pump will interchange with the existing, is this correct and if so do you know where and how much I can get one for?

Thanks in advance for your help
    Hi and welcome Samsun.Do you know what exactly is wrong with the fuel pump?If its leaking you can get a repair kit from www.milneroffroad.com
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I am by no means a mechanic so if I say anything that doesnt make sense just say.

When I tried to start it (after having new battery and glow plug) would not fully turn over, with the pedal down it would rev to 1 thousand and still cut out, when bump starting it was a stubborn sod and didnt want to kick in. I got it to a mates garage and he hooked up and in-line pump to see if it was the fuel pump. According to him it started a treat and he is pretty sure the fuel pump is knackered, he didnt mention any leaks though.

Does any of that make sense?

Comment

I am by no means a mechanic so if I say anything that doesnt make sense just say.

When I tried to start it (after having new battery and glow plug) would not fully turn over, with the pedal down it would rev to 1 thousand and still cut out, when bump starting it was a stubborn sod and didnt want to kick in. I got it to a mates garage and he hooked up and in-line pump to see if it was the fuel pump. According to him it started a treat and he is pretty sure the fuel pump is knackered, he didnt mention any leaks though.

Does any of that make sense?
        out of curiosity did it start ok after the battery was fitted if not then try the battery connections as one of mine is a bit loose and every now and again i have to jiggle the neg lead on the battery and then it will start ok

Comment

Yes the battery is fine, the engine is turning over but it cuts out or at worst wont actually fire and start. I even had the jump leads on and it didnt help it fire, apparently there is not enough fuel getting through!!!!

Comment

Yes the battery is fine, the engine is turning over but it cuts out or at worst wont actually fire and start. I even had the jump leads on and it didnt help it fire, apparently there is not enough fuel getting through!!!!
            as your turning it over get someone to pump the primer on top of the fuel filter till it gets stiff as you may have air in the system.Its the round black thing on the top of the filter

Comment

I will ask the mechanic to check it out and see what happens.

Comment

i think when you got a quote for a new pump they made a mistake as it's an 89 truck the pumps are mechanical so are alot dearer to buy talk to plumb bob about it as he has had a quote done and they are £2200. i might be wrong about the price but it's def a mechanical pump

Comment

£2200!!!!!! Please tell me that is a typing error

I am not familiar with the site yet, how do I get hold of Plumb Bob?

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31556
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

sorry mate not a typing error

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31465
                      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31556

have a look at these

Comment

Looks like I will either be getting second hand or by-passing the original with an in-line pump, pants!!!!

Comment

Looks like I will either be getting second hand or by-passing the original with an in-line pump, pants!!!!
                          Dont blame you mate! It is POINTLESS spending that sort of amount on a surf! there great trucks but you could buy another surf for £2200!!

contact some breakers etc see if you can find anything a bit cheaper!

Comment

£2200!!!!!! Please tell me that is a typing error

I am not familiar with the site yet, how do I get hold of Plumb Bob?

Hello!

Yup mines a 1989 on a G plate with the mechanical pump, ( NOT EFI) nd toyota quoted me £2200.00 + vat and thats just to buy it.

It's much cheaper to have it reconditioned, about £750.00 although I am at present looking into the possibility of getting one from australia for about AU$1000 or possibly from the Denso Corp factory in China for possibly less.

Still waitinf to get all the details back.
                            Will let you know how it goes.
                            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Is the inline pump a viable option for you plumb bob? I don't know about diesel pumps, but inline petrol pumps are available for anything from about £70 up, they may even be the same pumps for derv.
                              =========
                              =SOLD UP!=
                              =========

Comment

Working...
                              X