Please Help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help...

Hi, I am going mad trying to sort out my Surf, I have a 1991 2.4TD SSR and have so far had to replace the head and radiator, which has stop all overheating and it does not loose a drop of water.
    But now it has started smoking (black/blue) especially when I accelerate but not really if I hold the revs?
    I have now just tried another diesel pump but I get the same thing!

Don't know what to do next?

Please help

black/blue smoke, it's burning oil from somewhere. have you changed all your filters or had a service lately
    Last edited by sledge; 19 March 2007, 00:42.

Comment

and pour a bottle of redex in the tank
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

How about a bit of veg oil too!

(Hello richard!)
        it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by CopperCircle
          Hi, I am going mad trying to sort out my Surf, I have a 1991 2.4TD SSR and have so far had to replace the head and radiator, which has stop all overheating and it does not loose a drop of water.
          But now it has started smoking (black/blue) especially when I accelerate but not really if I hold the revs?
          I have now just tried another diesel pump but I get the same thing!

Don't know what to do next?

Please help

Replace the air filter, do the EGR mod. and remove the plastic intake tube and rubber elbow that join onto the turbo and clean them out.

Comment

Is yours the EFI model??
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Thanks all, the smoke is mainly black and the surf is also under powered when going up hill or flat out. I have changed all filters, had the injectors tested and the compression tested!

I have also done the EGR mod which did improve the power/smoke.

I seems to pump to much diesel?

I am not sure that when we put the engine back together after the head change that maybe all the vac pipes are not on in the right place?

Comment

Well drove it again today since the diesel pump has been changed, but it is definitely the same. Also yes it is the EFI engine and an Auto box.

I get smoke but not all the time, it will suddenly drive fine with no smoke then ten minutes later I look in the mirror and I'm James Bond! leaving a smoke screen? It is still drinking diesel and goning up any average hill I can only do about 30-35mph flat out...

I also noticed that sometimes when I pull up at lights, it ticks over lump for a minute, be I have no problems starting the engine cold or hot.

Still don't know what to do next...

Comment

Is the TURBO Whistling! Check your VACUUM HOSES!
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

Sounds like a turbo lose of power, but not with black smoke? Its is blue (burnt oil), when the turbo goes. Black is overfuelling. Could be summit really daft like a wire off or pipe wrong way. I did a landy once, but it didnt go over 4000rpm or 40 to 50mph, it was a collapsed turbo intake pipe. This threw black smoke as there was no air in the mix. Sounds like it could be struggling to breath. I would be checking out the air intake system. The hose on the landy broke by the inner linning collapsing
                    What comes around goes around!!

Comment

You could have a vacuum hose connected to wrong position. If this is the case with the ones on the vacuum diaphragm then it will be closing the small intake butterfly in the throttle housing.

The diagram above is for the 2L-T

Here's a diagram of the 2L-TE vacuum setup on the intake side.

1 - EGR Valve
                      2 - Vacuum Diaphragm
                      3 - Small Butterfly
                      4 - Bottom VSV Under Manifold
                      5 - Top VSV Under Manifold
                      6 - VSV on throttle Body
                      7 - Vacuum Supply From Vacuum Pump
                      8 - EGR Vacuum Supply
                      9 - Vacuum Diaphragm - Lower Chamber Vacuum Supply Hose
                      10 - Vacuum Diaphragm - Upper Chamber Vacuum Supply Hose
                      11 - Wiring Harness.

More info here -

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

Nev

Comment

Thanks for the 2L-TE diagram, I could not find one. I will check the vac system this weekend.

I think it may be an electrical/timing issue, when running at high revs or under some torque the engine seems to misfire slightly?

Comment

Working...
                        X