Fuel mileage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel mileage...

I recently imported my 91 surf from japan. When I first got it here I put in a couple tanks and I got on average about 450k out of a full tank.

I figured I could improve this with a little maintenance.. So I did the following:
    Tire Alignment Front / Rear (they said I had some pretty severe toe on the front tires)
    New Air Filter
    New Fuel Filter
    New Oil Filter / Oil change to 15w40
    New Glow Plugs
    New Thermostat / Gasket
    Complete Rad flush

Now I figured this would improve my fuel mileage.. but for some reason I'm getting around 400k to the tank now.. maybe a little bit more..

Anything that would be causing this? Anything else I should do for maintenance that would help this?

a heavy foot average is 25mpg

Comment

Try running some injector cleaner through it, best way is to remove filter empty it and fill it up with injector cleaner, refit it put the rest in the tank, then take it for a blast.
      If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Originally posted by Tango
        I recently imported my 91 surf from japan. When I first got it here I put in a couple tanks and I got on average about 450k out of a full tank.

I figured I could improve this with a little maintenance.. So I did the following:
        Tire Alignment Front / Rear (they said I had some pretty severe toe on the front tires)
        New Air Filter
        New Fuel Filter
        New Oil Filter / Oil change to 15w40
        New Glow Plugs
        New Thermostat / Gasket
        Complete Rad flush

Now I figured this would improve my fuel mileage.. but for some reason I'm getting around 400k to the tank now.. maybe a little bit more..

Anything that would be causing this? Anything else I should do for maintenance that would help this?

Hi
        I get about 450km to a tank sometimes a little more sometimes a little less, just 1 thing to think about what are the roads like where you live round here there are a lot of hills to climb that why I only get the mileage I do on a run down the motorway I get better mileage. remember these trucks are just over 2 ton, I asked this question when I first got my Surf and someone on here replyed to me saying (slow and steady wins the race??) and this has stayed in my mind ever since.

Hope this helps
        Steve.
        The wheels on my Surf go round and round

Comment

Any particular Diesel fuel injector that does better than others?

Comment

Originally posted by Tango
            Any particular Diesel fuel injector that does better than others?
            Redex is a firm favourite over here
            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

With severe toe in you would be putting less rubber on the road, therefore less drag, so now you have full tyre contact there will be more resistance.

Well, it makes sense in MY mind.
              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

i'm past caring as i'm sat in traffic queues going to and from work. It can take anywhere upto 1 hour to cover 8 miles. On average it takes about 30-40 mins
                Gaz

Comment

Working...
                X