rad damaged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rad damaged

Hi all, just bought myself a new 1995 3ltr surf and noticed there's been some sort of welding repair on the top of the rad. can anyone tell me if this is anything to worry about as i thought it was only the earlier 2.4 surf's that suffered from overheating problems. hope someone can put my mind at rest.

Originally posted by steveo007
    Hi all, just bought myself a new 1995 3ltr surf and noticed there's been some sort of welding repair on the top of the rad. can anyone tell me if this is anything to worry about as i thought it was only the earlier 2.4 surf's that suffered from overheating problems. hope someone can put my mind at rest.

It's a common problem with the standard rads, 2.4 and the 3.0s, the top tank is paper thin and developes pin-hole leaks or the seam splits.
    I've soldered mine three times now and I'm considering a new replacement or a new thicker top tank made.

Comment

some radiators tend to go along the top and are soldered or braised(spelling) to repair them.Sometimes they last for quite a while and sometimes they don't.Just keep an eye on it to see if there are any leaks coming from the repairs thats all you can do
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

lightning fast response, thanks very much

Comment

can anyone tell me are the 3ltr surfs prone to overheating problems like the older 2.4ltr surfs and is there anything else i need to keep my eye on.

Comment

can anyone tell me are the 3ltr surfs prone to overheating problems like the older 2.4ltr surfs and is there anything else i need to keep my eye on.
            they aren't as prone as the 2.4's as the 2.4's had a design fault with the heads untill towards the end of the 2.4's the modified heads were fitted but its still like any motor if you dont service it regular and look after it then it will cost you money.
            Make sure yours has had a new rad cap ,thermostat and all new filters and oil and new coolant,if you don't know if the cam belt has been done and its over 100,000km then it will pay to have that done also.

Comment

thanks for your reply, on top of the cam balt cover it seys it was replaced at 100100kms and the trucks done 144000kms so should be ok for a while yet, Great!

Comment

thanks for your reply, on top of the cam balt cover it seys it was replaced at 100100kms and the trucks done 144000kms so should be ok for a while yet, Great!
                just make sure it has the other stuff done and it should be ok then

Comment

Working...
                X