yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

back pressure...how much are you 'allowed'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back pressure...how much are you 'allowed'?

with the engine running on your surf, if you take the oil filler cap off, how much pressure comes up?

mine has a bit - it sort of blows...does this mean i am to be the proud investor in a short engine?

any other signs for worn piston rings?

many thanks in advance for replies!

problems? i'll take 'em.

Originally posted by skyhooked
    with the engine running on your surf, if you take the oil filler cap off, how much pressure comes up?

mine has a bit - it sort of blows...does this mean i am to be the proud investor in a short engine?

Thats normal.

Comment

The easiest check for worn piston rings is a compression check
      (did I just say easiest?!)

It's quite an involved job but would be the best method. Also clouds of blue smoke on acceleration would also be a sign. Also you could expect to lose some oil as it gets burnt.

Really worn rings/low compression would make it a pain to start.
      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

thanks for replies so far...

i do get a puff of smoke on acceleration, seem to be using a bit more oil than usual and starting is a bit lumpy with a cloud of blue smoke on start up

after this, it runs fine and keeps pace with my mates 2.4 surf so don't think i'm losing out on performance

i was reassured by vince's reply, now i feel nervous again after reading the above post - though the info is gratefully recieved!

compression check it is then. take it i'm looking for constant compression accross all 4 cylinders to be in the clear?

do the rings give up on surfs much?
        problems? i'll take 'em.

Comment

Valve stem oil seals wear on older engines allowing oil to by-pass the valves and out the PCV hose back into the intake side of the engine and then gets burnt, which is usually the cause of blue smoke.

No big deal, just check oil level every week or two.

Comment

i do get a puff of smoke on acceleration,
            have you done the egr mod yet mate??
            TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

hi andrew

haven't done the EGR mod...hearing mixed things...

local mechanic told me 'not to mess with the system' while i hear folks enjoy smoke free surfs

what is the damage of having a non EGR mod surf?

and to assauge my paranoia - would i really know if my piston rings had gone?

i noticed oil spattered over some parts of the engine bay today

believe me i dont want the trauma. i recently bought a more demanding and potentially disastrous machine and right now just need the surf to $$$$$$ well behave itself
              problems? i'll take 'em.

Comment

i do get a puff of smoke on acceleration, seem to be using a bit more oil than usual and starting is a bit lumpy with a cloud of blue smoke on start up

after this, it runs fine and keeps pace with my mates 2.4 surf so don't think i'm losing out on performance

i was reassured by vince's reply, now i feel nervous again after reading the above post - though the info is gratefully recieved!

compression check it is then. take it i'm looking for constant compression accross all 4 cylinders to be in the clear?

do the rings give up on surfs much?
                Are you sure it's oil & not unburnt diesel, I still have the same problem with the wifes, when I set off I get a puff of black smoke & I also get a lumpy tick over with a bit of blue smoke, when cold, I'm pretty sure mine is a diesel problem though.

Also double check for any oil leaks before assuming it's being burnt!

for a compression test you would be looking for nearly equal results accross all 4 cylinders or within a set figure (which I don't have to hand).

I might be stating the obvious here but don't try to use a petrol engined compression tester, it will blow up! (I saw a so called mechanic do this once )

Most of all Dont panic, most cars will run for years with worn piston rings..... Providing the oil is kept topped up

I've done the EGR mod on both my surfs.... Call me a bluff old traditionalist but I can't see any reason for poisening the nice clean mixture of diesel & air with exhaust gasses. I've completely binned my EGR valves, but it's not a easy task unless the head is coming off, blocking the pipe up has the same effect.

Piston rings can go on any motor, I wouldn't say that the surf is any worse
                Last edited by coolsv650; 5 March 2007, 17:30. Reason: I've loads more to add!
                Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Working...
                X