Which Intercooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Intercooler

Hi all. My Pajero 2.5 intercooler arrived today and, further to my posted questions about rigging the fan to the turbo light, it turns out that it already has a temperature sensor fitted as O/E. It seems a reatively simple job to rig the sensor to a relay to, in turn, power the fan. However, I am suffering from a little indicision: I also bid on, and won, a 200 tdi intercooler which is sitting in my garage. The tdi cooler is about 16" long and, although there is no temp sensor, I could use the fan from the other cooler and stick to the turbo light idea. The Pajero cooler, although its got all the gizmos with it, is only about 13" long and its smaller size concerns me. Theres obviously a far greater capacity in the tdi cooler so (presumably) better cooling, but I would need to cut off the inlet pipe, turn it 180 degrees and reweld it. Any recommendations from you guys? just how important IS size? No double entendre's please lol
    My karma ran over my dogma ..
    Paul

What size engine was the 200Tdi?

The main concern would be to balance the flow of air through the engine.

A 2.5 (or bigger) turbo diesel intercooler of any type would be OK - it comes down to where you want to mount it and pipe runs etc.

My cooler was off a 2.5 Warrior and it works just fine. I made sure that all pipes increased in diameter as they got closer to the inlet manifold. This was to minimise any losses.

Dia. 48mm out of the turbo, dia50mm out of the cooler up to dia 63mm attached to the inlet manifold.

Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 2 March 2007, 18:43.
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
      What size engine was the 200Tdi?

The main concern would be to balance the flow of air through the engine.

A 2.5 (or bigger) turbo diesel intercooler of any type would be OK - it comes down to where you want to mount it and pipe runs etc.

My cooler was off a 2.5 Warrior and it works just fine. I made sure that all pipes increased in diameter as they got closer to the inlet manifold. This was to minimise any losses.

Dia. 48mm out of the turbo, dia50mm out of the cooler up to dia 63mm attached to the inlet manifold.
      That cooler looks exactly like the pajero 2.5 unit I've got. Is ther also temp sender fitted in yours? No idea what the 200tdi engine was, only that the cooler is significantly bigger.
      Last edited by Billy-No-Money; 2 March 2007, 20:48.
      My karma ran over my dogma ..
      Paul

Comment

There is a sender attached to it - never bothered with it though.

It is to activate the fan - my unit dd not have the fan fitted.

You should think about when the fan is needed - ie in slow moving traffic (no air flow through the bonet scoop). According to revs, your turbo may or may not be on. It would be better attached to the speedo - slow speed = fan on?

EDIT - me a candidate IOTW - temp sender - doh!
        Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 2 March 2007, 22:04.
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
          There is a sender attached to it - never bothered with it though.

It is to activate the fan - my unit dd not have the fan fitted.

You should think about when the fan is needed - ie in slow moving traffic (no air flow through the bonet scoop). According to revs, your turbo may or may not be on. It would be better attached to the speedo - slow speed = fan on?

EDIT - me a candidate IOTW - temp sender - doh!
          Well volunteered, welcome to the 'Fines' thread
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Working...
          X