Strange noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange noise

I have started to get a loud noise in engine compartment that I can only describe as sounding like a Tesco carrier bag tied onto a fan belt and being thrashed round the engine comp. It only comes on for about 2 or 3 secs and more often when engine is cold. Doesn't seem to be at any particular revs either. It may only happen once or twice in 10 mile run to work or back.
    I tried turning the radio up, this worked for a while, but turning it back down again and the noise came back .
    No obvious signs of damage to fan belts, although it is about time they were replaced. Engine has done 145,000 Km, and cam belt was changed by previous owner.
    Hope somone may have some ideas on what it may be!

Cheers
    Never go back to work, the day after you are off

Its a SAINSBURYS carrier bag
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

It can't be, too many in the family work for Tesco's so i'm not allowed near Sainsburys any more!

Comment

It could be a belt as there are 2 for the power steering i think! I may be wrong.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

thanks Marky, I think the belts are OK, but I have ordered a new set anyway. I thought the tensioner pulley for air-con was sticking but I took it apart yesterday and it seems OK.
          I have heard that crankshaft pulley can come apart, but it will be next weekend before I can look at that!

Comment

Originally posted by RichieL
            I have heard that crankshaft pulley can come apart, but it will be next weekend before I can look at that!
            In my experiance seperated crank pulley normally squeaks like slipping V belts.

But check it though, along with all the idler pulleys, P/S and Alt bearings, viscous hub of the fan and definatly check the water pump bearings.

Also keep an eye on the turbo.

Another thought... Cam belt and its pulleys.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for that Tony.

Looks like i've got some work to do on Saturday.

Hope it keeps dry, as I still can't persuade the boy to get the pool table out of the garage!

Comment

Working...
              X