So, I adjusted the fuel pump......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I adjusted the fuel pump......

Read a few threads on fuel pump adjusment ( the screw under the thimble cap?) the other day and having now removed the black treacle that was masquarading as engine oil and changed the oil, air and fuel filters, now seemed as good a time as any to give it a whirl. The cap came off with the gentlest of teasing so I gave the screw an 1/8 turn clockwise as seemed to be indicated by the common combined wisdom of all involved in the debate. There was no noticable difference in performance but sure enough, the fine clouds of whitish smoke dissapeared, though sadlly they were replaced by plumes of black smoke that were actually dense enough to create a shadow on the road behind me. I figured that if I was putting more fuel through than before and the smoke was loads worse, turning the screw back the other way should have the reverse effect. So Ive turned it back to the start point then gone 1/8 of a turn anti clockwise. No smoke!! Ive been out for a good thrash but the only smoke that I get now is when I floor it after coasting to a junction with my foot off the gas, and thats only a thin white trail for a coupla seconds. There no noticable delay in the power coming on and it pulls hills as well as it ever did before (admittedly is was never fantastic) The most noticabe thing is that i can now drive with the rear window down without gassing myself! Id be interested in anyone elses thoughts or experiences on this.
    My karma ran over my dogma ..
    Paul

so im alone on that one then, eh?
    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Billy-No-Money
      so im alone on that one then, eh?
      It varies depending upon the individual motor. If your engine was already over fuelling, that's why you had to go the opposite way.

Comment

might give it another tweak then, working on the assuption that Ill know ive gone too far when I can notice a tail off in power.
        Paul

Comment

Working...
        X