Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window not opening anymore

hey there,

i'm hoping someone here might be able to help me. the other day i opened my tailgate window as usual to get something out of back of car. all good. a few hours later i did some shopping, wanting to open the back - and the window is not moving anymore. it is up (luckily) but i cannot open it - not with the key nor the button in the inside. it doesnt make a sound either. just dead. car is working fine.
    what could it be and how can i fix it?

i wud be very thankful for some advice.

cheers
    nicki

Window lock switch on drivers door panel.

Comment

I never thought of that Matt. Took my winder motor out a few weeks back to repair the cog, then had to take it out again when the cush drive in the motor split under the strain of a working window, and it worked fine till I went out to put something in the back and it wouldnt move. I stripped off the rear door panel and powered the motor through the plug to open the back door, checked the motor both directions with a live feed, checked all the plugs, then took out the relay box to check that. Couldnt find a fault but when i put it all back together it mysteriously started working again. I presumed that I had left a plug loose from the previous removal. I'm now kicking myself for not thinking of something as simple as that.
      Last edited by Billy-No-Money; 13 February 2007, 07:56.
      My karma ran over my dogma ..
      Paul

Comment

well boys even tho i am a girl and am not having much of an idea about this whole thing ... the window lock i tried straight away. unfortunately this has not solved the problem tho. the window won't open anymore and when turning the key or pressing the button inside, i cannot hear motor sounds either. but as i said ... a few minutes earlier it worked just fine.
        the window has always had it problems going up. it was always quite slow. i have had to "help" it up sometimes but pushing it a bit with my hands while turning the key. this has always worked fine. but now just nothing .. so considering i am a girl with not much of a clue - i would still like to fix it, preferably myself. here in new zealand garages charge a fortune and i don't have that.

so i'm happy to receive some more advice from you.

cheers
        nicki

Comment

Fisrt thing to check would be the fuses, as you say the window was struggling before it stopped.....

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/fuses.htm

Comment

This happened to me after I had taken the motor out and repaired it. It worked fine when I put it back together but a few hours later I went to open the window and there was nothing. To check if its the motor, climb into the rear load area and carefully pull off the carpet panel ( a wide flat screwdriver will lever it away at the clips) then unscrew the metal plate behind it. Finally pull back the clear plastic protective sheet and you will see the motor. The two wire that come from the motor go to a plug clipped onto the door panel. If you unplug this, get a spare battery (I didnt have one so I extended a pair if jumper cables with lengths of wire and taped plastic bags over the cable clamps so that they didnt earth out on the vehicle body) and connect the moter wires via the plug directly to the battery. Swapping the leads over will make the motor run either up or down. Dont keep the power on for more than a few seconds if the motor doesnt operate the window as if its the mechanism that is somehow jammed you could burn it out. If the motor operates direcly from a battery, leave the window half down then plug the motor back in and try it with the switch or key to see if it operates from that position. There are some limiter switches mounted on the window mechanism that stop the power to the motor when the window is either fully up or down. Check that the connections to those are intact and thet the switches move freely and are not sticking. If you need to, you can test them with a simple multimeter. If the motor still wont work from the key when its plugged back in, you will have to trace the wires to where they come through the bottom of the door and check for damage. If all the plugs are clean and properly connected, and the wires are not damaged, then the last thing to check out is the relay behind the rear left hand trim panel.
            Paul

Comment

mine use to struggle too, I think it was due to the cog starting to give out but i helped after I thoroughly cleaned oot all the window channel including the lower parts in the tailgate itself and lubed them with a thin smear of vaseline
              Paul

Comment

the rear wiper seated properly
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Give the rear wiper a bit of a wiggle.

Comment

Working...
                  X