Engine Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Noise

1990 2.4td Ltd. Just had new timing belt fitted and has been recently serviced. All running well but engine sounds noisy at certain revs when powering on. Wondered if this is an induction type noise that has come on through the new t belt or could it be a blown front exhaust pipe or gasket.
    Any ideas appreciated.

Originally posted by Foxhill
    1990 2.4td Ltd. Just had new timing belt fitted and has been recently serviced. All running well but engine sounds noisy at certain revs when powering on. Wondered if this is an induction type noise that has come on through the new t belt or could it be a blown front exhaust pipe or gasket.
    Any ideas appreciated.

How old is the engine oil?

Comment

My oil was replaced a month ago with Halfords Semi-sinthetic 10/40 Diesel oil.
      Fuel and oil filter changed at same time and bought from Milners as previous.

Comment

Noisy covers a broad range of perceptions. Noisy in what form?

Comment

It sounds a bit more throaty as if the exhaust is blowing from the front end but only at higher speeds under load. I suppose thats why i am wondering if its a seal or gasket or may be the new timing belt could time the fuel mixture differently? But it runs okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxhill
            It sounds a bit more throaty as if the exhaust is blowing from the front end but only at higher speeds under load. I suppose thats why i am wondering if its a seal or gasket or may be the new timing belt could time the fuel mixture differently? But it runs okay.

Check that your air filter is seated properly and that the lid is sealed.

Comment

The filter just sits in a sort of centre recess within the filter housing so will check its still in place, thanks for the help.

Comment

Also check the flexi-pipe from the filter housing for splits. The other thing would be to actually check the exhaust front pipe for holes or splits. Main place where they tend to go is where it crosses over to the nearside underneath the vehicle.

Comment

mine sounded a bit like that and i niticed soot and $$$$ on the left of the head (looking into the bay) i thought it was the gasket between the exaust and turbo (hence noiser under load) but it was in fact on of the studs was broke and one really loose since then i have changed these and added a bit of gasket sealer, as i could not sorce a new gasket and needed it fixed. now it runs a dream and no more noise, well from there anyway!
                  it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

I have a similar problem, the droning noise starts at exactly 2400 rpm and stops at 3000 rpm. Which translates to road speeds of about 55 to 66 mph. I like to cruise around at these speeds so its damn annoying. I have changed the crankshaft pulley, which was causing sqealing, so its not that. I think I will pull out the air filter and take it for a run as suggested in an earlier reply.

Have to find it as its spoiling a fantastic vehicle.

Cheers chaps

Comment

I had a similar problem and I couldn't track the noise down. It was always at 55mph- 65mph and I ended up spending a good few weeks worrying about impending doom.

Then I got new tyres.......... noise gone.

This probably says more about my automotive skills but hey!

Dave

Comment

Similar noise, turned out to be ERG valve gaskit needed resealing.
                        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
                        X