Confused about 4 wheel drive ? A/TP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about 4 wheel drive ? A/TP

Hi, I'm confused about selecting 4 wheel drive on my auto surf. The lever has a button the side that turns on the 4 wheel drive, I think I understand what the L4-N-H means but am unsure what to select. If I push the lever forward without the button pressed a light comes on the dash A/TP ?? For normal & most economical driving is the N postion the one to use or should I put it in L4 without the 4 wheel drive button pressed? I've searched the forums but am unsure about the information & I don't have the proper manual
    Thanks

Originally posted by Surf Runner
    Hi, I'm confused about selecting 4 wheel drive on my auto surf. The lever has a button the side that turns on the 4 wheel drive, I think I understand what the L4-N-H means but am unsure what to select. If I push the lever forward without the button pressed a light comes on the dash A/TP ?? For normal & most economical driving is the N postion the one to use or should I put it in L4 without the 4 wheel drive button pressed? I've searched the forums but am unsure about the information & I don't have the proper manual
    Thanks
    For normal driving, the lever should be in the H position, pulled back as far as it will go. This is in 2 wheel drive.

On slippery surfaces, you can push the button on the side, to select 4WD.

Some off road driving may need low ratio, when you must stop, select neutral, and move the stubby lever forward to the L4 position. This is low ratio, 4WD. The button doesn't need to be pressed in, it's atomatically 4WD in this position.

The A/TP light is a warning that the transfer lever (the short stubby one) is in neutral, AND the main gearlever is also in neutral.

Hope this helps!
    It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo

The A/TP light is a warning that the transfer lever (the short stubby one) is in neutral, AND the main gearlever is also in neutral.

Hope this helps!
      The A/TP light comes on anytime the t/case is in N, because even if the autobox is P, the truck will still roll away without the hand brake on.

L4 is no good on the road as its the same as H4, so you won't be able to go round corners on hard surfaces with out straining the drivetrain. The button is only to select 4H, when you push the lever forward, it automatically goes into 4wd.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

4x4 N ??

Thanks for the information but sorry one more question. When should the 4x4 stick be put in neutral (N)

Comment

Originally posted by Surf Runner
          Thanks for the information but sorry one more question. When should the 4x4 stick be put in neutral (N)
          When you are using PTO equipment, so on a Surf, Never, as it has no PTO attachment points. Its a throwback that modern cars don't use.

All its good for is gags to get people wondering why their car dosn't move when they put it in D.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            When you are using PTO equipment, so on a Surf, Never, as it has no PTO attachment points.
            Gypsies do.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo View Post
              For normal driving, the lever should be in the H position, pulled back as far as it will go. This is in 2 wheel drive.

Some off road driving may need low ratio, when you must stop, select neutral, and move the stubby lever forward to the L4 position. This is low ratio, 4WD. The button doesn't need to be pressed in, it's atomatically 4WD in this position.

Hope this helps!
              Good day Sir Dave....
              Got a question too..the query about the use of L4 is for low ratio,use for sticky muds and high terrain. How about the H selection? Is this applicable too on manual 5 speed transmission? Bought this truck here in the Philippines and the maximum speed i gain is only 100/hr. By using the H selection..does it makes my truck to run faster over the said speed?
              Your reply is highly appreciated.
              T

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo View Post

Hope this helps!
                Good day Sir Dave....
                Got a question too..the query about the use of L4 is for low ratio,use for sticky muds and high terrain. How about the H selection? Is this applicable too on manual 5 speed transmission? Bought this truck here in the Philippines and the maximum speed i gain is only 100/hr. By using the H selection..does it makes my truck to run faster over the said speed?
                Your reply is highly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                X