dash bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dash bulbs

just for future ref, is there an easy way to change that stupidly tiny bulb that illuminates the air con/ heater controls? even with the dash in bits I couldnt get the control unit out. gettin the old bulb out was easy-ish(it fell out after i managed to unscrew the plastic mounting cap at an odd angle past the heater controls) but i ended up having to superglue the new bulb to my finger to get it back in the hole.
    My karma ran over my dogma ..
    Paul

[QUOTE=Billy-No-Money]just for future ref, is there an easy way to change that stupidly tiny bulb that illuminates the air con/ heater controls? QUOTE]

Umm, no!

Comment

bulbs

Cheers bushwacker, cheered me up no end!
      Paul

Comment

Incidently how do I get to the bulb? I am also missing light on the auto box to indicate which gear its in (not a biggie but sometimes get mixed up between n and d)...
        Cheers,

Tom

Comment

You can get to the bulb from the front, without taking the dash apart at all. Slide a knife or something in the left hand side of the heater control panel and lever it off, remember you haven't taken the control knobs off as they fly around the car to slowly be recovered one by one over the next 3 months. Finish removing the panel. Use said knife to release the clip holding the clear plastic bit that's now exposed from the rest of the unit, et voila, bulb clearly visible pull it out, pop a new one in, re-assemble in reverse order. Spend 3 months looking for the 4 heater control knobs. The A/C switch has to come out at some point aswell i think but i can't remember where.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
            You can get to the bulb from the front, without taking the dash apart at all. Slide a knife or something in the left hand side of the heater control panel and lever it off, remember you haven't taken the control knobs off as they fly around the car to slowly be recovered one by one over the next 3 months. Finish removing the panel. Use said knife to release the clip holding the clear plastic bit that's now exposed from the rest of the unit, et voila, bulb clearly visible pull it out, pop a new one in, re-assemble in reverse order. Spend 3 months looking for the 4 heater control knobs. The A/C switch has to come out at some point aswell i think but i can't remember where.
            I reckon you must have a different set up to me then. The bulbs that illuminate the heater/fan controls on mine are fitted into the rear of the heater control unit. The bulbs are mounted on a plastic base that is larger than the hole that the bulb goes into and so couldnt be drawn out from the front (even if exposed) without breaking the bulb and leaving the little plastic mounting behind.
            Paul

Comment

Yeah your right i think Paul, they fit in from the back, you have to remove the controll unit and even then without disconnecting the controll cables it's a bitch, and when you've gone to all that trouble the new bulbs are pi$$ poor,
              Fitted a load of leds in mine and at least i can see it now,
              http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21521
              Have a read through this lot
              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

could be a pre facelift thing, i dunno mine's just got a single bulb in the centre, which can be got at as said before, although i just put a pair of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLTZ-LED-STRI...QQcmdZViewItem in behind the diffuser and ran the wires out the bottom of the unit and down to the fusebox and picked up the lighting circuit there. Then put the diffuser and front panel back on. Sorted.

edit: just read through that link and your dash definately appears different to mine. Could be pre/post facelift, or trim level or something.
                Last edited by nero279; 23 February 2007, 20:15.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

To add to that last post. this is what my heater control looks like. Just the 4 sliders, no buttons above as Ian's appears to have.
                  =========
                  =SOLD UP!=
                  =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                    To add to that last post. this is what my heater control looks like. Just the 4 sliders, no buttons above as Ian's appears to have.
                    Thats the difference then mate. Ive got the buttons to select air direction and only two sliders for temp and fan speed. Looks like the style you have would be a good deal easier to get into.
                    Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X