Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat & Diesel Additives

Hi,

I'm planning on doing a coolant flush and new thermostat shortly. I live in Canada, and I'm curious as to the proper spec or type of coolant that I should be adding in. From what I've read, it just seems the "red toyota" coolant is what I should be adding?

In addition, the diesel fuels in Canada are now this "low sulphur" diesel. I've heard a lot of talk about this "millers diesel additive", however; this seems to mostly apply to the UK. Are there any North Americans or Canadians who have tried a diesel additive sold in North America to combat the low sulphur diesel?

Cheers,
    Lyle

For Canada I would just go with the strongest anti freeze you can buy - assuming Victoria gets as cold as the rest!

I regularly use Redex diesel additive to keep the injectors clean. My truck is approaching 220,000kms and sounding sweet. I would have thought any similar injector cleaner would work.

I change the oil and filter about every 5000 - 7000kms. Not quite as often as I should but hey.......

This forum will get you more info than www.yotatech.com as they almost all have US spec 4Runners with gas engines.
    Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 7 February 2007, 19:09.
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Quite a few guys on here (me included) have put a small amount of auto transmission fluid in the tank, this seems to clean very well, mines certainly a lot better, i've just stuck 1lt in half a tank,
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Nice to hear from a fellow Canadian surfer. I just did the flush and thermo replacement. I used the standard Canadian Tire brand diesel antifreeze and deionized water. Also threw in a bttle of cooling system lubricant. So far so good - running smoothly in consistent -20 to -40 temperatures. Hopefully the summer will see it running as smoothly when it's 50 degrees warmer out than it is now.

Off topic, but do you have any leads on Canadian sources for parts!?

Comment

Originally posted by ianmel
          Nice to hear from a fellow Canadian surfer. I just did the flush and thermo replacement. I used the standard Canadian Tire brand diesel antifreeze and deionized water. Also threw in a bttle of cooling system lubricant. So far so good - running smoothly in consistent -20 to -40 temperatures. Hopefully the summer will see it running as smoothly when it's 50 degrees warmer out than it is now.

Off topic, but do you have any leads on Canadian sources for parts!?
          Yes, I actually have a really good source for parts.
          Hit me up on MSN: pixeljunction_AT_msn.com (replace _AT_ with @).. to avoid spammers. Just bought a little over 400 dollars worth of parts from him for maintenance Glow plugs, oil, air, fuel filters, thermostat, gasket etc.

Anywho, hit me up on MSN!

Lyle

Comment

Working...
          X