• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Hilux Progression Thread [56K NO]

Jan 28th, 2007 - INTERIOR DETAIL - PAGE 1
    Feb 8th, 2007 - HEAD UNIT INSTALL - PAGE 2

Hey,

I'm new here, I just imported my 91 Hilux Surf from Japan, and I live in Canada.
    I've been lurking on the forums for some time, just gathering bits of information before my hilux finally arrived.

This thread will be a progression mostly of my detailing. I don't plan to do any mods to it, only maintenance and detailing it. I run a small detailing business, and this is a huge hobby of mine, so here goes

I've only had it for less than a week, and I got a bit of time to start the detailing process on my interior. I will be doing a cut polish on the exterior very soon, with higher end boutique products, etc. Probably a 3 stage, with Optimum Hyper Compound, then to to a straight optimum polish, and either top it with a klasse sealent glaze and pop it out with some meguiars #16 or Pinnacle Souveran.

Thus far is my detail of the interior only:
    Interior:

Ok, so I’ve just now finished the interior detail process. This actually took quite a bit longer than I had first anticipated. When I first assessed the vehicle it actually didn’t seem that bad, but this color interior has a tendency to do that. After cleaning one area, you realize the part beside it should be that same color, so in that respect it’s a bit of a snowball effect.

I started by cleaning all the vinyl in the interior, starting front to back. This included door panels, dash, center console, rear sides, etc.
    After the vinyl was clean, I removed the front and rear seats and steam cleaned them, and then set them aside to dry for the bulk of the day. With the interior now fully exposed, I could see what exactly needed to be done.

A basic shot of everything ripped open

Again, you can see how bad the rear trunk area is.

Dash is covered in dirt / grease.

Steam…..

The armrest is a good example of the before / after cleaning process. This is just after cleaning, no protectant has been applied yet.

As I was saying, after cleaning the vinyl, you can see where I’ve also lifted part of the dirt on the headliner. This is where I realized I would have to clean the entire headliner as well.

More bad interior shots

Harley doing his thing in the hilux!

Beginning to steam clean the front seats.

Some pretty dark water there. Just goes to show how much $$$$ is really in your interior.

This shot is of the headliner. As you can see, there is a huge difference between the two parts that have been done. Took a lot of hard work to get all the dirt out of the headliner.

Steam cleaned all the floors / carpeted lower door panels.

Rear trunk area steam cleaned.

Interior back together.

more interior shots

Final interior shot

All said and done I put in 18 hours over the course of 3 days. Two 4-5 hour nights, and then another straight 8 hour day and the interior is finally where I want it to be. Again, there are parts where I’ve gone overboard, but its to the point where it’s a restoration level detail. I will probably spend another couple of hours dressing interior rubber, and windows, which I have not yet completed.

Here is a dump of all the photos I took during the interior detail. Its a full directory listing, and I only put up a sample here of all the pics taken.
    http://www.pinnacledetailing.com/gal...ilux/interior/

Have fun There will surely be more to come!
    Last edited by Tango; 9 February 2007, 04:25.

Very impressive,

[Hides Hippo from Tango's view]

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Thanks

I know it may not be in-line with what a lot of you guys do with your surfs, but I thought I would post up anyway. I don't plan on off roading it, only going camping on the logging roads in the summer, and going up to the local ski mountain during the winter. Other than that, I will mainly just be daily driving it, thus the reason I feel to keep it in immaculate shape

Comment

well worth the work mate, looks great. You have obviously put a lot of hard work into that. Just need to stop harley from marking his territory on all your hard work.

the king of the shiney club!

looks like you still got the rescue flare in there as well mate, might be worth binning it, 16 year old explosives and all that

do you fancy doing mine next??

Last edited by andrewlee31; 28 January 2007, 11:54.
        TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Much appreciate the offer Harley is pretty funny. The little guy is only 6 months old and he nips and bites at everything, but tends to sleep most of the day :P
            Another question I have.. What on earth is the tiny little mirror on the passenger side fender for on these SUV's?

Comment

its just japenese regulations mate. think its there to spot cyclists... so you can hit them easier
              TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

As parking spaces can be very small and scarce in many Japanese cities, these are fitted to larger vehicles to assist the driver in parking in tight spots. It should give you a view of the wheel/wheelarch area to help you park close to walls etc.

Generaly considered here to be of questionable value.
                Maurice
                Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

What an absolutely gorgeous colour truck you have there, I wish I had one that colour.......oh wait, I do!!!

p.s. Your steering wheel is on the wrong side buddy!

Comment

wow,nice job its amazing how much better those front seats look,deffo a member of the shiny club.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
                      wow,nice job its amazing how much better those front seats look,deffo a member of the shiny club.
                      i would say the Hyacinth Bucket club....
                      Last edited by stormforce; 4 February 2007, 18:13.
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Update

UPDATE: Feb 8th, 2006

Just finished installing the head-unit today that I ordered from Japan.
                        Its a nice Pioneer Carrozzeria deck, kind of a rare sub-unit of pioneer in Japan.
                        I really felt it was minimalistic and would flow well with my dash, so I put it in.

As of now its hooked up to just the stock speakers, however; soon I will be installing a pair of Focal Components upfront on the door panels (not the dash) and then some 6.5 eclipses in the back. It'll be powered by a 4 channel Clarion Amp.

PICS:

Ripping apart the dash...

wiring...

its in...

its alive!

looks good!

Image Dump of stereo Install: http://www.pinnacledetailing.com/gallery/hilux/stereo/
                        More updates to come!!
                        Last edited by Tango; 9 February 2007, 04:23.

Comment

Looks good matey, I just wish I had the time to give mine a good seeing to!

Ferret
                          "Canis Auxilio Servimus"

Comment

A nice little find in one of the side compartments of the rear trunk area
                            This will save me a hundred or so in not having to buy chains :P

and....

Giving er a bath :P

Comment

Working...
                            X