Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diesel pump timing

Good afternoon gents

is there a way of checking the timing on my 2.4 manual efi surf (diesel pump timing that is) getting 18 to the gallon. or is there a special way to drive these surfs eg not going over 3000 rpm. my driving varies from off road to motorway and i have an aftermarket air filter fitted cone type would that affect the mpg that much.

cheers Chris.

ive just done 300kms and my tank is almost empty so im the same as you. i might play with my fuel pump screw soon.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by christopoher murphy
      Good afternoon gents

is there a way of checking the timing on my 2.4 manual efi surf (diesel pump timing that is) getting 18 to the gallon. or is there a special way to drive these surfs eg not going over 3000 rpm. my driving varies from off road to motorway and i have an aftermarket air filter fitted cone type would that affect the mpg that much.

cheers Chris.
      A free-flowing air filter won't help with economy. If the pump timing was 'out', then at certain revs the engine will run rough.
      You could have dirty/dribbling injectors, especially if your truck has done more that 70,000 miles.
      Try some injector cleaner in the tank first, just tip the whole bottle in, don't bother reading the instructions, and see if that improves things. If not, then you need re-con or new set of injectors.

Also, check your tyre pressures and that your brakes aren't dragging.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replys at least im not the only one out there i might take off the air filter and put the standard one back but will try a couple of gallons of injector cleaner first. i must admit going off road does use a lot of fuel in low range any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Chris.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replys at least im not the only one out there i might take off the air filter and put the standard one back but will try a couple of gallons of injector cleaner first. i must admit going off road does use a lot of fuel in low range any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Chris.
          A good way of saving money when your off roading is to get someone to tow you about.. costs nothing and you have the same fun..
          -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Originally posted by max6674
            A good way of saving money when your off roading is to get someone to tow you about.. costs nothing and you have the same fun..
            Is that an excuse for gettin stuck??? as long as you don't get towed by a landy you'll still be welcome.
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

Good afternoon gents

cheers Chris.
              There is a way of checking the pump timing but it ain't easy and you will need a dial gauge to actually check the pump timing.

However if you strip the timing cover off you could line up the marks to see if the pulley marks are out, but its quite involved getting the cover off.

To actually check to make sure the pump is set correctly gets more involved, & I haven't ventured in that far yet!
              Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Working...
              X