Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff ratios

Hi.
    Could anyone please tell me if the front diffs are the same ratios and fittings for the 2.4 as the 3.0. Cheers.

Originally posted by robb66
    Hi.
    Could anyone please tell me if the front diffs are the same ratios and fittings for the 2.4 as the 3.0. Cheers.
    They're the same fittings, but I'm pretty sure they're different ratios. If you look at the VIN plate, you'll see an axle code, this should let you know if they're the same.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

It's not something that's guaranteed..

Not even all 2.4's have the same ratios. Think it depends on what wheels/tyres Mr Jap specified when he ordered the truck...
      It just does, OK?

Comment

2nd gen front diffs are physically interchangeable but the ratios may not be the same. For instance my '90 2.4 had a 4.556 ratio whereas my 93 3.0 has a 4.1
        Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Mmmm. Nothing's ever simple is it...

Comment

Could you explain where to look on the plate that tells you what ratios the diff is, please.

Comment

Originally posted by robb66
              Could you explain where to look on the plate that tells you what ratios the diff is, please.
              On the VIN plate there is a line for the Axle code. I'm not sure how the axle code relates to the ratio however. I'm sure there was a link somewhere that matched one to the other.
              Paul </Slugsie>
              Immortal.so far!

Comment

Post up your axle code, it should be something like G144 or G285 or similer.

The first 2 numbers are the ratio... common are 29 = 4.1 to 1, 25 = 4.5 to 1 and 14 = 4.8 (common in pickups.)

The last number is type of diff, 2 = 2 pinion, 4 = 4 pinion and 5 = LSD, they are all interchangable, 4 pinion is stronger than 2 pinion, and LSD is odviously a Limited slip diff.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Found this page which seems to list the codes.

http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/ar....jsp?id=274535
                  Paul </Slugsie>
                  Immortal.so far!

Comment

Working...
                  X