Hi it's me again, Heres the story so far,

Lack of oil (pick-up pipe blocked),

Big end siezure (spun bearing),
    New short engine from stevo,
    Engine back together (after loads of forum help),
    Starts and ticks over fine,
    Runs OK and turbo light kicks in at around 2K
    At around 2.5K getting a distinct rattle from cam shaft area
    At 3K rattle is now very loud (like a bag of loose spanners)engine check light comes on.
    Oil and water ok
    oil pressure ok
    Took battries off to reset ECU
    checked for loose pipes and plugs
    I have looked through the posts and noticed a couple of things, fuel pump and timing, the thing is if either of these were wrong would the thing start on the button,first time, tick over ok and run to 2K sounding fine.
    I have decided to see if I can do the error code thingy (well documented in these forums) tomorrow evening mostly because there is something telling the ecu to put on the engine check light when the noise from the top end is at a point when it sounds like it's going to break.

Any ideas greatfully received.
    Yours hopefully Col (the frontman) Rudman

PS was hoping to use the motor for a 500 mile round trip to a gig in whitehaven (cumbria) on saturday, but looks like another van hire job.
    Cheers
    All the best

Obviously the TOP END was dry so it will take some time to get it all Lubricated. TONY or STEVO will advise better than i.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Couldn't be the turbo by any chance could it.When i lost oil pressure in mine the following day the turbo was rattling like hell at about 2500rpm and gets a bit louder when i speed up
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by frontman
        Hi it's me again, Heres the story so far,

Lack of oil (pick-up pipe blocked),

Big end siezure (spun bearing),
        New short engine from stevo,
        Engine back together (after loads of forum help),
        Starts and ticks over fine,
        Runs OK and turbo light kicks in at around 2K
        At around 2.5K getting a distinct rattle from cam shaft area
        At 3K rattle is now very loud (like a bag of loose spanners)engine check light comes on.
        Oil and water ok
        oil pressure ok
        Took battries off to reset ECU
        checked for loose pipes and plugs
        I have looked through the posts and noticed a couple of things, fuel pump and timing, the thing is if either of these were wrong would the thing start on the button,first time, tick over ok and run to 2K sounding fine.
        I have decided to see if I can do the error code thingy (well documented in these forums) tomorrow evening mostly because there is something telling the ecu to put on the engine check light when the noise from the top end is at a point when it sounds like it's going to break.

Any ideas greatfully received.
        Yours hopefully Col (the frontman) Rudman

PS was hoping to use the motor for a 500 mile round trip to a gig in whitehaven (cumbria) on saturday, but looks like another van hire job.
        Cheers
        Could be a couple of things

firstly if the top end has rund short of oil the cam/followers could be damaged, but this alone would not normally cause theECU light to come on, The turbo could have been damaged, quite an easy way to check this is to remove the air feed pipe (air filter to turbo) with the engine stopped, try to spin the turbo fan you can see with your fingers. If it is very tight then the turbo is u/s, I would say the blades should do a couple of rotations when spun by hand.

Is there loads of smoke? that would signify turbo/fuel pump faults also
        Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Rattle

Thank's for the replies, no smoke and as I said runs OK (perhaps a bit lumpy)at lower revs. Im tempted check the timing belt and pulleys.
          All the best

Comment

Rattle

Yep it looks like the turbo's shot, there is quite a bit of sideways play and oil in the turbo housing. Anyone know where to get a turbo ? 2nd hand,recon,new!! ?
            If the seals are leaking, could this cause back pressure and make the cam rattle and will it cause the engine check light to come on?
            Cheers for the help

Col
            All the best

Comment

Originally posted by frontman
              Yep it looks like the turbo's shot, there is quite a bit of sideways play and oil in the turbo housing. Anyone know where to get a turbo ? 2nd hand,recon,new!! ?
              If the seals are leaking, could this cause back pressure and make the cam rattle and will it cause the engine check light to come on?
              Cheers for the help

Col

01924 46 66 66

01924 45 55 45

i just got a turbo from these guys for £250 all inc
              Last edited by Koi; 7 April 2014, 20:23.
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
              X