Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do i have a cracked head???

Hi everybody.

Just wondered if you could all help me out again. (1993 LN130 2.4TD)

Last month saw me refilling my coolant every month to keep it topped up as it leaked from somewhere. Had to do 400 miles to my new address so topped her up and drove down motor way. 300 miles into journey heat goes right up so straight into service station took off rad cap (gradually!) and she was virtually empty (filled her up again). Had to do last 100 miles in 20 mile bunny hops between service stations! (not fun took me ages!)

Now, the last four hops went well with it not getting hot again but the first hop saw me having to stop as it went into the red and i had to turn the engine off. (steam under the bonnet) after cool down i limped to service station andrefilled car with water and then got to my destination.

Car has been parked for a month now and i filled her up with coolant over christmas to stop freezing (only leaks under pressure). Drove 3 miles to garage today ($$$$ping myself!!) and it leaked but i got there and the temp stayed nice.

Get a ring at lunch time and mechanic says that hes had a look and that its just a water pump i need. (Milners £40) ordered it today but now im thinking i may have a cracked head as well.

Would he know this if it was the case or is he naively thinking its a simple problem when it isnt. When i drive it there is no white smoke or anything, no oil in the coolant, power is normal, only thing is a strange boiling sound from the engine. I assumed this would be from the loss of pressure due to the water pump though.

It is of course impossible for you to know but my question is do i have a cracked head!!!! is it worth me payng the mechanic three hours labour to fix the pump and then have to pay another grand for the head job. Can he do anything to test it?
    [SIZE=4]Benjami

The water pump is something that should be replaced with the head anyhow, ideally, so unless you're planning on getting rid of the Surf if the head has gone, it wouldn't hurt to replace that first. One less item to replace in the worst case scenario, at least. Do the rad cap and thermostat, as well. Without taking the head off or having it pressure tested, you'll not know what condition the head is in.

Comment

You can have the coolant tested for combustion gases by any decent garage. If they are present, head or gasket is gone
      Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by SurfBoy69
        Hi everybody.

Just wondered if you could all help me out again. (1993 LN130 2.4TD)

Last month saw me refilling my coolant every month to keep it topped up as it leaked from somewhere. Had to do 400 miles to my new address so topped her up and drove down motor way. 300 miles into journey heat goes right up so straight into service station took off rad cap (gradually!) and she was virtually empty (filled her up again). Had to do last 100 miles in 20 mile bunny hops between service stations! (not fun took me ages!)

Now, the last four hops went well with it not getting hot again but the first hop saw me having to stop as it went into the red and i had to turn the engine off. (steam under the bonnet) after cool down i limped to service station andrefilled car with water and then got to my destination.

Car has been parked for a month now and i filled her up with coolant over christmas to stop freezing (only leaks under pressure). Drove 3 miles to garage today ($$$$ping myself!!) and it leaked but i got there and the temp stayed nice.

Get a ring at lunch time and mechanic says that hes had a look and that its just a water pump i need. (Milners £40) ordered it today but now im thinking i may have a cracked head as well.

Would he know this if it was the case or is he naively thinking its a simple problem when it isnt. When i drive it there is no white smoke or anything, no oil in the coolant, power is normal, only thing is a strange boiling sound from the engine. I assumed this would be from the loss of pressure due to the water pump though.

It is of course impossible for you to know but my question is do i have a cracked head!!!! is it worth me payng the mechanic three hours labour to fix the pump and then have to pay another grand for the head job. Can he do anything to test it?
        Just had the same problem with mine , changed thermostat and rad cap but still having to top up. Decided to take to my mates garage who is very good and i noticed the white smoke. He checked coolant for gasses but found nothing although he is 99% sure the head has gone , will find out Thursday when he takes head apart - i'm expecting the worse !!

Comment

If the crack is small it sometimes doesn't open up until the truck gets really really hot. Because of that it can show clear on the exhaust gas test as garages rarely run them for a couple of hours!

From experience on a 2.4 if it has got so hot that it's $$$$ed out all water from full as your has the head will have invariably cracked.

The failed water pump may be the initial cause of the overheating so would need replacing anyway
          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

new head?

Thank you for the responses, i think your right about the head being cracked. Once he has put the new pump on at least it might make it semi-driveable.

If i need a new head am i looking at about £1000?

Looking at the forum it seems that Tony or Stevo do good deals. Where are they both based?
            [SIZE=4]Benjami

Comment

Originally posted by SurfBoy69
              Thank you for the responses, i think your right about the head being cracked. Once he has put the new pump on at least it might make it semi-driveable.

If i need a new head am i looking at about £1000?

Looking at the forum it seems that Tony or Stevo do good deals. Where are they both based?
              Stevo is in stockport some where north of the watford gap
              Tony in basingstoke down south
              www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Working...
              X