Battery depletion? slow cold start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery depletion? slow cold start.

Can anyone give me some pointers as to why a twin deisel battery set up would struggle when its clod to start a 2.4Td auto?

Done the usial checks, alt output, bonding/earth continuity new batteries etc. The only thing I can't check is the amp draw on start. does anyone know what the usial draw is on cold start?

Do the starters suffer from tight casings restricting rotation in the cold or are they just not up to the job?

Does anyone know what the amp draw is on a typical cat1 coba alarm system?

I know I' new to the forum bot I'm well impressed with the feedback I've had.
    If at first etc? Find a BIGGER HAMMER!

Does it spin up alright and not start or is it slow to turn over?

Comment

Have you seperated the batteries and checked their individual voltages? You may have a knackered one and it's 'pulling' the other down too.
      The batteries are wired in series to provide high amps when starting.

Toyota thought it would be cheaper than fitting one big, high output battery for some reason!!

Comment

Sancho.
        No,first time it starts like a slugg..put put yah I'm awake. After that its a little more lively. Oh$$$$! Yes I'm awake sort of thing.

Vince,
        I thought the batteries were wired in parellel? Is i a 24v starting system like in most perkins with a voltage changeover unit? Yes both batteries are good but at a total of over 800 amp available for the inital shunt on the starter i wouldnt expect such a sluggish srart. Fluid levels are correct as are there specific graverties.
        Are there ang earthing areas that cause commen concearn? Might it mean an starter motor change when I send it to Steve for a head change? ....... Oh god another £200

Comment

Originally posted by woz
          Sancho.
          No,first time it starts like a slugg..put put yah I'm awake. After that its a little more lively. Oh$$$$! Yes I'm awake sort of thing.

Vince,
          I thought the batteries were wired in parellel? Is i a 24v starting system like in most perkins with a voltage changeover unit? Yes both batteries are good but at a total of over 800 amp available for the inital shunt on the starter i wouldnt expect such a sluggish srart. Fluid levels are correct as are there specific graverties.
          Are there ang earthing areas that cause commen concearn? Might it mean an starter motor change when I send it to Steve for a head change? ....... Oh god another £200

It's a 12Volt starting circuit like other cars.
          You mention head change there, has yours cracked? May explain why the batteries are struggling to turn it over as there may be coolant in the bores causing high compression.

If the starter contacts have burned down, then they will cause a heavier draw on the batteries.

Comment

Thought of brushes and aremature on the starter. The slow starting has been going on for alost a year. Having said that it was sat for some time prior as i was away with work. It could explain it though if the engine was hydraulicing after being sat for any lenght of time.
            Thanks Vince, I didnt think of that.
            Just another? How do you put a pic of your hilux on your profile that sort of wrecked a man in a white tranny van, and he didnt like it cause it was his fault nad the hilux didnt even have a scratch on it? Well some of his paint maybe?

Comment

You'll have to pay a £10 yearly subscription.

Comment

Too who and how? For all the gen and contacts I've managed to acquire just reading through some of the 100+ pages of info its got to be worth it. Whats this thing about the Macmillan drive you have?
                I used to e involved with something similar years ago but it involved motorbikes and children. It was the only time some of them ever seemed to have smiles on there faces.

Comment

Originally posted by woz
                  Too who and how? For all the gen and contacts I've managed to acquire just reading through some of the 100+ pages of info its got to be worth it. Whats this thing about the Macmillan drive you have?
                  I used to e involved with something similar years ago but it involved motorbikes and children. It was the only time some of them ever seemed to have smiles on there faces.
                  http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1140

and

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27625

Comment

Ta! Sancho. Talk later.

Comment

Try popping a charger on the batteries overnight and see how it starts first thing. Should give you a good idea whether it's mechanical or electrical.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                        Try popping a charger on the batteries overnight and see how it starts first thing. Should give you a good idea whether it's mechanical or electrical.
                        don't you mean put the batteries on charge overnight Matt cause if you just pop the charger on the batteries it wont do very much
                        will it....
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                          don't you mean put the batteries on charge overnight Matt cause if you just pop the charger on the batteries it wont do very much
                          will it....

Jeez, somebody give him a slap!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                            Jeez, somebody give him a slap!!
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Mr. Mannering! Come here and sort your troops out imediatly. Oh I'm sorryfor the digression.
                              Ta Matt, put trickle charger on overnight. Max amp draw was 10 when they had the option for 50 and been sat for nearly 2 month with alarm sucking them dry. Went down to 1.5 very quickly and even when i tried force feeding the batteries they wouldnt take more than 3-4 amps and that was after about 6 hr on trickle.
                              Me thinks the hydraulicing possibility sounds quite probable but you never rule anything out.

Comment

Working...
                              X