Poor starting in cold weather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor starting in cold weather?

The Surf is getting much harder to start now it's getting colder - I've been reading through some older posts and found 3 things about which I have some questions -

1. some people seem to suggest switching on and off 2 or 3 times and waiting for the beep each time to warm the plugs nicely - does this actually do anything extra beyond the first time?

2. When I replaced the head I noticed that the fuel-primer handpump took ages to do anything - can this be the cause of poor cold starting?

3. If I swap the fuel filter and pump head, to bleed it do I just slacken the injector pipes, pump until diesel appears, tighten up and start it up?

and finally 4. How can I check if the glo-plugs are shot? They were new from Milners perhaps 1 to 1.5 years ago.

ta
    James

Your starting problems will just be the glowplugs. Milners plugs don't seem to last very long. I've just replaced my Milners ones after 18 months for these...
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=220020928503

These are excellent glowplugs, from an excellent Ebayer and look much better quality, for under £25 for four delivered within 24 hours.

Comment

Thanks Vince, just ordered 4 from that ebay seller - hopefully it will cure the starting problems.

thanks
      James

Comment

Just make sure that you take note of how the insulators are fitted when you dismantle the busbar otherwise you may blow the fuse ..........

Won't he Vince
        Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paulh
          Just make sure that you take note of how the insulators are fitted when you dismantle the busbar otherwise you may blow the fuse ..........

Won't he Vince

Oh shuddup!!

Comment

the manual primer pump on mine is quite firm all the time(leave it matt/ bushy ) but id have thought that if you had this for a while it shouldnt matter as it would do it in the warm weather too.its possible the system is drawing air back in from maybe an incorrectly seated fuel filter or pipe.if your changing the fuel filter i always fill my new filter up with clean diesel,whack it on and i remove the output pipe from the filter housing and then give it a few pumps( )till the diesel comes out. if youve got air further into the system just opening the injectors and operating the primer pump WONT WORK.first you get air out of the filter housing then undo one injector at a time then turn over like buggery for ages till fuel comes out. repeat this per injector and after a while you should start her up ok. i have flattened a battery doing this so its wise to have a doner (not kebab) battery or a motor nearby with jump leads!! good luck

be jesus my fingers hurt now waiting for it
            DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

Thanks for the info - I'll try the new glowplugs first and if it doesn't improve things then I'll buy a new primer housing I think and fit a new fuel filter and see how that goes.

In the summer it has been fine (fires first turnover) but it had this cold-start problem last year also, and I think I fitted the Milners plugs then, so oerhaps by now they are burned out or they were just rubbish to start with?

Comment

Originally posted by JimSuperSix
                I fitted the Milners plugs then, so oerhaps by now they are burned out or they were just rubbish to start with?

Yup.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X