leaking transfer box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking transfer box

To many of you this will seem a very stupid question, so I apologise in advance. I have oil leaking out of the transfer box (or front diff??) how do I check the level and has anyone changed the gaskets/seals on one before, if so am I better off paying a garage or having a crack myself, im not a mechanic (as you have probably guessed) but I do most of the jobs on the truck myself, any help gratefully received

The front diff and transfer box are a good metre apart - so should be easy to figure out which is leaking!
    just look to see which has oil slick on it!

I replaced an oil seal on transfer box yesterday, it was the one where the front prop shaft enters the transfer box.
    took me 3 hours to change in the end, mainly because the bolts on the prop flanges were well bolted on!, and had to use spanners to couldnt get leverage, that i would have been able toi with a socket and breaker bar...
    once prop was off, I drained oil out of the trans box, then pulled flange off at front, and levered off oil seal with a screw driver,
    tapped new on in carefully (£10 from roughtrax)., put it all back together and refilled the trans box with new oil.

i had hoped it would take 1/2 the time and turned out to be a pig of job with the tough bolts on the prop.

Not sure what a garage would have charged, £50-60 at a guess?

both the diff and transfer box have 24mm hexagonal bolts. An upper fill one and a lower draining one.
    undo the upper one to check oil, oil level should be upto the base of the fill hole.

also see here:
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
    X