Alternating smoke colours from exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternating smoke colours from exhaust

If your surf is particularly smokey, should the smoke normally be one colour i.e. black, white or blue when driving around?

My truck seems to alter between black smoke and every so often seems to blow out not white or blue smoke but what looks (in the rear view mirror) like dust! and it can be very noticable. Any ideas what this 'dust' is, am a little concerned that 3 yrs ago when my engine was rebuilt they may have installed a dyson instead of a surf engine.

Originally posted by AndyBud
    If your surf is particularly smokey, should the smoke normally be one colour i.e. black, white or blue when driving around?

My truck seems to alter between black smoke and every so often seems to blow out not white or blue smoke but what looks (in the rear view mirror) like dust! and it can be very noticable. Any ideas what this 'dust' is, am a little concerned that 3 yrs ago when my engine was rebuilt they may have installed a dyson instead of a surf engine.

Sounds pretty normal for a 15 year old diesel engine. Although black smoke is an excess fuel problem, usually caused by a dirty air filter, or worn/gummed up injectors, or whishful thinking with your right foot!

Also, it may be smokey on initial start-up but should clear when engine has warmed up.
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 1 November 2006, 01:30.

Comment

Mine produces white smoke on start-up if i don't let the plugs heat properly, but it clears after a quick rev, the changes to black smoke under load. In the n/s mirror it looks really bad driving in the dark when it's being lit up by other cars headlights and stuff and often appears to change colour, be careful it's not just the difference in light making it appear to change colour.
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

smoke colour changes

The black smoke just sounds like excess fuel, most diesels emit some under load, but the "dust" sounds like oil. Have the same problem with mine but on a much grander scale! basically if it's black all the time it's running a bit rich, but if it looks brownish you may be burning oil.

You needn't worry abount the possible Dyson installation, they have no loss of suction, unlike my surf! But then again, Dyson don't suck very well in the first place!
        Last edited by ZRX1100; 19 November 2006, 11:26.
        Small person, BIG ATTITUDE!!

Comment

What problem do you reckon these guys have then?
          Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Working...
          X