Urgent help needed on cooling system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help needed on cooling system

Decided to put a new thermostat in and a new rad cap so I thought I might as well drain and flush the rad and put some nice fresh coolant in. So ... I drained and flushed and then took out the old thermo and put in the new one. Bolted the housing back up. Started filling rad with new coolant - got to around 3 litres and it wouldn't take anymore.

I decided to run the engine with rad cap off and heater on for a few minutes to maybe dispel some air!? No good. It still wouldn't take any more coolant.

I ran the engine with the rad cap on keeping a close S******g myself eye on it.

The temp gauge did not move from cold and the rad coolant remained completely cold. Decided at this point to consult the experts.

Help appreciated.
    Vic

I'll open fire with the obvious question. Did you get all the old coolant out?

Comment

I took out the drain plug at the bottom of the rad and left it until nothing more was coming out.
      Vic

Comment

You'll only get about 4 or 5 litres back in any way if you only drain the rad.

Did you install the thermostat the right way up? both heaters set to hot?

Type jiggle valve into the search box for more info.

Comment

Thanks Vince and Sancho - looks like I need to gen up on heater hoses, matrix and draining the engine block if I'm going to sort out the cooler system properly.

Tomorrow I'll check the jiggle valve. I did notice what I assume is the jiggle valve but have no idea where I positioned it.

I may need to get back to you. Thanks a lot guys.
          Vic

Comment

Working...
          X