Running like a bag of $h*t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running like a bag of $h*t

My surf (93, Jap import) has been running like a dream since getting last year, the head cracked and got it replaced by an import specilist as I had a warrenty on it and everything was great.... until this last month!!!

Its started smoking like a ba$t^rd (grey) on start up and idles like its missing on one cylinder....
    Its lost some serious power and splutters black smoke with my foot down.
    The fumes stick of unburned fuel so when stopped at lights I gas everyone around!

I've done a complete service replaced the filters and flushed it through with redx to clear the injects but its stick cr^p
    I'm not new to desiels, 10 yrs a grease monkey with REME but I've got a feeling this may be a costly one but would like some professional advise before I start replacing parts and after reading this forum you guys and the dog's nuts!!!

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by ellis4k
    My surf (93, Jap import) has been running like a dream since getting last year, the head cracked and got it replaced by an import specilist as I had a warrenty on it and everything was great.... until this last month!!!

Its started smoking like a ba$t^rd (grey) on start up and idles like its missing on one cylinder....
    The fumes stick of unburned fuel so when stopped at lights I gas everyone around!

I've done a complete service replaced the filters and flushed it through with redx to clear the injects but its stick cr^p
    I'm not new to desiels, 10 yrs a grease monkey with REME but I've got a feeling this may be a costly one but would like some professional advise before I start replacing parts and after reading this forum you guys and the dog's nuts!!!

Thanks in advance
    could it be your glow plugs
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks in advance

Check all the small diameter rubber vacuum pipes around the throttle housing, especially the one indicated in the photo, are all connected securely and not split or perished.

Lumpy startups from cold normally indicate glowplugs are knackered. I would renew them anyway as winter is fast approaching.

Comment

have you checked the diagnostic light.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

possibly maybe the EGR is stuck open
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Hi

Look at my last threar need to get back on the road mine was Identical to yours.

Happy trucking I am convinced you have the same problem as I had tap it with hammer nice even ones not denting the casing of the valve blow in some red ex or wd and rev like sh*it for a few times then relax as problem goes away.

Fingers crossed it worked for me.

Cheers Highlander1
            www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Yep reading the thread through just the same keep the thing disconnected when you get sorted and never reconnect.

put some blanking over the ends if you prefer. I let mine stay open doesn't do anything other than cause the problems you descibed if you leave it connected the valves clog with $$$$ fail and then give the problem.

Cheers
              www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

It gets worse!!!

First things first, "Thanks guys, your help is appreciated and needed"...

And the story goes on, after a busy week driving my week day car I take my surf out....
                And I have now lost my turbo!!!
                Haven't had chance to check anything this weekend, was tied up motor x'in but have booked 2 days off to look at this.

When I say "lost the turbo" I mean the light doesn't come on, it takes an age to get up the gears and when it does it won't top 65mph, so I know the turbo isn't working!

could this all be related to the advice above?
                I have a busy day over/under the bonnet and would appreciate direction before I start.

Thanks again....

Comment

And I have now lost my turbo!!!
                  Haven't had chance to check anything this weekend, was tied up motor x'in but have booked 2 days off to look at this.

When I say "lost the turbo" I mean the light doesn't come on, it takes an age to get up the gears and when it does it won't top 65mph, so I know the turbo isn't working!
                  Could be just the hose from the intake manifold under the throttle housing which connects to the turbo pressure sensor on the air filter housing via a small white filter has become disconnected or is split. If this happens the ECU is not getting the signals fron the sensor and this will cause the engine to run like a normally aspirated engine. In other words no get up and go.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                  X