engine check light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine check light

engine check light comes on when rpm increase quickly, heard that it meant over boost. What do i do about it and is it doing any harm? It only started doing it when i disconnected the batteries to change them? HELP Its a 2.4 d auto 91
    Last edited by Skier; 26 September 2006, 15:57. Reason: add info

Originally posted by Skier
    engine check light comes on when rpm increase quickly, heard that it meant over boost. What do i do about it and is it doing any harm? It only started doing it when i disconnected the batteries to change them? HELP Its a 2.4 d auto 91

First, make sure the battery clamps are tight, then make sure you haven't knocked the air temp sensor out of the airfilter outlet, check all the small rubber vac hoses on and around the throttle housing. If the light still comes on, try removing the ECD relay from the engine compartment fuse box for 10 mins, then replace. This should reset the ECU.

If it still comes on after all that, then you need to do a diagnostics check.

Comment

thanks vince ill try that

Comment

Tried that and it still does it, some one has just told me that it might be the dump valve or sludge build up in the tubo, if thats the case can i cleen it or does it mean a new turbo? It only does this at 3000rpm

Comment

It won't be the dump valve, 'cos it hasn't got one.
          You can remove the hoses from the air filter to the turbo and from the turbo to the throttle housing and give them a wipe out, as they normally have a small amount of oil in them anyway. This has nothing to do with the engine check light though.
          What colour is the 'check' light, red or green?

Comment

Engine check light is red, the turbo light is green.

Comment

Just checkin'

Comment

wrong post
                Last edited by ABE; 27 September 2006, 23:30.
                www.merkinchlnr.org.uk

Comment

Working...
                X