2.4TD over-heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4TD over-heating

Hi All, i'm new to the site and it looks excellent....i've a 2.4TD thats started to over-heat on journeys of 2 hours or so. The guage goes right up to under the red and it never did this before. On journeys of half an hour or so its fine and only goes up half-way. The coolant is not leaking and the belts and rad cap seem fine. The thermostat is rated at 88 degrees celcius and is opening at about 78 degrees but I reckoned this should not cause over-heating? any ideas greatly appreciated

Your viscous fan on front of the engine probably needs topping up with silicone fluid.
    Also you should have an electric secondary cooling fan behind the grille. To check operation of the sensor/fan, switch on ignition, and pull off the round, grey plug on the thermostat housing and the fan should come on.

Type viscous fan or silicone fluid into the search box for more information.

Comment

2.4TD over-heating

forgot to say...she is 1989 engine..so no secondary fan..where would I fill up with silicone fluid...or is this only on newer engines?

Comment

Have a read here..... especially the 7th post.
        http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ht=viscous+fan

Comment

thanks for that, managed to replace silicone oil in fan, seems to have improved the situation

Comment

Working...
          X