Engine vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine vibration

I had the clutch done last week and since it came back I have noticed an engine vibration at 1500 rpm (and 3000) in any gear and neutral. The previous clutch had come to pieces (but still worked!) and there still seems to be something adrift in the bell housing. My question is; is the flywheel simply a single piece of metal or is there anything on the back of it which could have come loose? I have every faith in the garage where the job was done eg., that they tightened everything up properly and made sure all the bits of clutch were removed, but they would have no reason to remove the flywheel to check behind it. Any help would be appreciated as I have to get this solved very quickly before the vibrations do any further damage.

Thanks,
    Andy

Originally posted by Andy1
    I had the clutch done last week and since it came back I have noticed an engine vibration at 1500 rpm (and 3000) in any gear and neutral.
    Hello,

Could be that the clutch wasn't properly centred before tightening up onto the flywheel.

You use a small spigot - one end is a very close fit into the centre of the flywheel, the other end is a close fit over the clutch. The clutch is assembled and tightened with the spigot in place, then the spigot is pulled out.
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Clutches soon centre themselves, even if they are a touch out. Sounds like a cheap clutch to me?
      What comes around goes around!!

Comment

i may be wrong but do you have a dual mass flywheel fitted,it could be this on its way out.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
          i may be wrong but do you have a dual mass flywheel fitted,it could be this on its way out.
          I've had one of these where all the springs fell out and got mangled up in the bell housing (not a pretty sight) and this one started off with just a vibration then got noisey
          If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Was the propshaft replaced in the same position?

i.e. is it still balanced?

Comment

It's back in the garage tomorrow morning for investigation. I don't know about a dual mass clutch I would presume it is the original. The clutch which was fitted was a new one (as opposed to a rebuilt one) and at £150 I would expect it to be Roughtrax's finest. It's not a propshaft problem as it does it when standing still in neutral.
              I suppose I'll find out tomorrow evening. If it's a new flywheel I'm sunk, they're £499. This job is already costing a fortune without that.
              Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll keep you posted.

Andy

Comment

Andy,

I would be interested to know how much your clutch cost you, I am expecting my surf back from the garage today after having the clutch done and they are being very cadgy about what the bill will be, and they have taken a week to do the job.
                It would just be helpfull to have a figure in mind when I pick it up.
                Cheers
                Keep it greasey so it'll go down easy...

Comment

http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php?doc=11&cid=143

Andy

Comment

Cheers Andy, but it more the labour cost I am after.

Comment

I don't know labour costs. I won't get the bill for a couple of months.

Andy

Comment

Np, I am going to pick it up in a minute so I will find out then I guess..lol

Comment

Originally posted by Andy1
                          It's back in the garage tomorrow morning for investigation. I don't know about a dual mass clutch I would presume it is the original. The clutch which was fitted was a new one (as opposed to a rebuilt one) and at £150 I would expect it to be Roughtrax's finest. It's not a propshaft problem as it does it when standing still in neutral.
                          I suppose I'll find out tomorrow evening. If it's a new flywheel I'm sunk, they're £499. This job is already costing a fortune without that.
                          Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll keep you posted.

Andy
                          I negotiated a 10% discount from Toyota for my Solid Flywheel conversion, so it cost £237.92+vat (part no. T13405-67020.

Thing is, if you convert from a DMF to 4Runner solid flywheel you must get the correct clutch plate. It's different to the DMF version as the driven plate is sprung whilst the Dual Mass version is'nt.

Check out what goes wrong with the DMF here:
                          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25057

The 3.0L and 2.4L versions are different but they still fall apart eventually.
                          Brian

Comment

So it was cylinder head design and now the flywheels, what was going on at Toyota in the nineties, shortcuts or dumbass design engineers?

Comment

Got the verdict this evening. One dual mass flywheel is well forked. Haven't seen it but I'm told there are bits everywhere. Roughtrax have a solid one on the website so I'll order that in the morning after I've spoken to them. (That solid one wasn't there last night, was it??).
                              Thanks to all for your help again.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X