Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the damage??

Hi....

I have just bought a 2.4TD Automatic Surf, I know a little about cars but not enough to carry out any repairs myself.
    I have taken my new toy to the garage to see what needs fixing (it is a 1992 build) and they gave me a list of things wrong with it (almost 2 pages long!!).
    A lot of this is cosmetic damage that I am not bothered about, however there is quite a lot of mechanical problems. I asked the guy how much each of the items would cost to fix and he said he did not want to commit to a price on any of them. I don't know whether it would be worth selling it on or getting it fixed up because i don't know how serious the issues are. I have listed them below, if anyone can offer any information about any of them I would be extremely grateful!!!

1) Timing belt due
    2) O/S/R shock absorber leaking - electrical
    3) Rear exhaust pipe leaking (with silencer)
    4) Rear exhaust bracket broken
    5) Cam Cover leaking oil
    6) Radiator very poor condition
    7) Gear Box harsh (?!?!?)
    8) No anti-freeze in cooling system
    9) Play in front wheel bearings
    10) Low front brake pads
    11) O/S/R Anti-roll bar bracket broken
    12) Radiator cap required
    13) Smoke from exhaust (blue??)

Cheers!!

Nothing terminal there. It sounds a lot worse than it is. Granted, the parts totalled
    up will cost a bit, but they are items you would probably be replacing within the
    first couple of years anyway. Make sure you replace the shocks in pairs, rather
    than singly, i.e: both front shocks at same time.

www.milneroffroad.com/LN130.htm

The harsh gearbox is probably just down to the ATF fluid being low or burnt. Drain
    it and replace with fresh. The lack of anti-freeze will be sorted when you get them
    to flush the cooling system and replace the rad cap and 'stat with Toyota originals.
    Also with the shocks, you can just replace them with non adjustable types. Procomp
    3000 or 9000's tend to be the main ones used as replacements. TonyN can sort you
    out with those.
    Last edited by MattF; 14 September 2006, 20:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Nellington
      Hi....

I have just bought a 2.4TD Automatic Surf, I know a little about cars but not enough to carry out any repairs myself.
      I have taken my new toy to the garage to see what needs fixing (it is a 1992 build) and they gave me a list of things wrong with it (almost 2 pages long!!).
      A lot of this is cosmetic damage that I am not bothered about, however there is quite a lot of mechanical problems. I asked the guy how much each of the items would cost to fix and he said he did not want to commit to a price on any of them. I don't know whether it would be worth selling it on or getting it fixed up because i don't know how serious the issues are. I have listed them below, if anyone can offer any information about any of them I would be extremely grateful!!!

1) Timing belt due
      Worth doing to save engine damage, normally due at 100,000 Km. Buy from Roughtrax (£23+vat)
      2) O/S/R shock absorber leaking - electrical
      Get a price for the part from Toyota or try to find one at a breakers (a lot cheaper)
      3) Rear exhaust pipe leaking (with silencer)
      If you have some basic mechanical skills source from Milners or Roughtrax and fit yourself.
      4) Rear exhaust bracket broken
      How is it broken? Rubber band can be replaced but the metal hanger may need welding. Is the bracket on the rear exhaust itself? If so MAY be able to weld it back on.
      5) Cam Cover leaking oil
      Buy gasket from Roughtrax (£8.50+vat)
      6) Radiator very poor condition
      New one from Roughtrax £165
      7) Gear Box harsh (?!?!?)
      Find out more about what that means.
      8) No anti-freeze in cooling system
      Simple job to drain, flush and add anti-freeze. Halfolds may be a good place to get this done. Ask them for a price.
      9) Play in front wheel bearings
      If it's just play then the front bearings can be easily adjusted. If they are worn a pair cost £32.50 from Roughtrax so both sides equals £65+vat plus labour.
      10) Low front brake pads
      £19.95+vat from Roughtrax
      11) O/S/R Anti-roll bar bracket broken
      Complete rear anti-roll bar kit from Roughtrax £31+vat
      12) Radiator cap required
      £6+vat
      13) Smoke from exhaust (blue??)
      Blue smoke is normally engine oil being burnt. Needs investigating as could be as simple as too much oil in the engine or as expensive as worn piston rings, bore, valve guides etc.

Hope this helps. If you can do things yourself, or have a good, mechanically minded, friend then the above wi;; give you some idea. If not, the points that need checking properly and getting an estimate are the Blue smoke, the harsh gearbox and the replacement of the radiator.

Cheers!!
      I'm sure others will give you thier opinions. Good luck.
      Brian

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the help guys!!
        When he said the gearbox was rough he said that it jolted when changing gear and that this could mean replacing the whole gearbox which would cost me about 4 figures (which is more than I paid for the whole car!!)
        He also seemed to think that the blue smoke could be symptomatic of something very serious which could also run into 4 figures/death of car.

Comment

When he said the gearbox was rough he said that it jolted when changing gear and that this could mean replacing the whole gearbox which would cost me about 4 figures (which is more than I paid for the whole car!!)
          He also seemed to think that the blue smoke could be symptomatic of something very serious which could also run into 4 figures/death of car.
          It may be worth a call and a visit to TonyN at 4x4 Toys (Basingstoke) to get his opinion on it. He should be able to give you a much better idea of what's wrong and what it would cost to fix, or if it's worth doing at all.
          Brian

Comment

Ok will give it a go.

One last thing, they said my surf would automatically fail it's MOT because it did not have a rear fog light fitted. I have been told by someone else that if the car was not built with one they won't fail you.
            Which is true?? Do i need to go out and buy something to rectify this??

Cheers.

Comment

Ok will give it a go.

One last thing, they said my surf would automatically fail it's MOT because it did not have a rear fog light fitted. I have been told by someone else that if the car was not built with one they won't fail you.
              Which is true?? Do i need to go out and buy something to rectify this??

Cheers.
              It will need a fog light for the mot
              I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

As far as I am aware you WILL need a rear foglight.

That's why we need to get inventive to keep em when offroading

Trev
                Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Blue smoke? Turbo sh***ed.

Comment

Rear fog light is cheap and fairly easy. If you are thinking about taking your truck off road then you might consider mounting it in the back bumper.
                    There is also a reversing light conversion you can do, which involves changing the reversing light bulb for a red one and a bit of a wiring mod.

The blue smoke could be the EGR valve. Again easy enough to fix. Try a search on EGR.

Good luck!
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Personally, I think your best option might be to get your car back from the
                      garage and just check the fluid levels yourself. As someone mentioned, the
                      smoke could merely be excess oil in the system? Check the ATF fluid level
                      as well. At least if you have an idea on those two areas, the rest are minor
                      compared to those two.

Comment

Working...
                      X