Squeeeeeely belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeeeeeely belts

Hi all squeely cheapy loud noise coming from front belts area.If I squirt water on them(as advised in an old thread)it stops,it does not matter which belt or pulley I wet it still stops it (water spraying everywhere)So is it the belts or the pulleys?Belts do look shiney.Is it a long job to change them all as if im doin one I may aswell do em all

The most likely culprit is the alternator belts. If you can turn any of the belts more than a qurter turn they might need tensioning. My alternator belt needs attention about every two months for some reason.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Changing the belts isn't too hard.

There is a guide for changing the cylinder head on the 2.4 here, part of the process involves removing the belts so you should find all the info you need there.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Thanks ive tightened the alternator belt and the squeel has just about gone but I noticed that the pulley on the alternator is very hot to the touch.It may have been like this b4 but didnt realy feel it so dont know is this ok

Comment

It's probably hot due to the friction/squeeling.

p.s. you should have two belts on the alternator

Comment

If the belt has been slipping the friction would make it hot. Check it again when your sure the belt does'nt slip any more.
            Brian

Comment

Ok cheers I have 2 belts how do I tell the belts not too tight?That was my worry that Id tightend too much an if the bearings were starting to go a little it was the friction of the bearings causing heat.

Comment

See Kitesurf phils post above.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  See Kitesurf phils post above.
                  if you can't twist the belt a 1/4 turn then they are too tight.
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

God its tight getting your arms in to do the adjustment.Well the A/C belt is fully tightened to its stop and I can still get over half a turn on the belt so I presume it must be nearly time for a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by peperami
                      God its tight getting your arms in to do the adjustment.Well the A/C belt is fully tightened to its stop and I can still get over half a turn on the belt so I presume it must be nearly time for a new one.
                      Not nearly time. It is time.

Comment

If all the adjustment has been taken up the belts well worn. Change it before it decides to break.
                        Brian

Comment

might as well do the set, you got to take em off to get the air con belt on anyway...
                          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Well it looks like my next shift off is changing belts.Wheres the best place to get a set from?And can I say this forum site is ace,Ive been on many others about other interests which are probably a lot more popular than this one.But none have delivered such quick responses (to questions that have probably been asked many times b4)than this one Thanks and hope to be a surfer for many moons to come.

Comment

Roughtrax or Milners for parts, personally I prefer Roughtrax. If you ever need to change your timing belt in the future then I would recommend a genuine Toyota only.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X