Where can I find a "How to service" a 2.4 TD Auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I find a "How to service" a 2.4 TD Auto

Now I've found this brilliant site I want to learn how to do my own fixes, rather than bankrupting myself through Dingles (Toyota) in Norwich.

Can anyone tell me where I can find an idiots guide with diagrams to servicing a 2.4 TD Auto?

Mine sometimes starts and sometimes doesn't. I just had new glow plugs and a main fuse fitted. It started yesterday morning (very cold) and again in the afternoon (sunny and warm). Today it refuses to start.

Having studied this forum for hours I came to the conclusion that the fuel system is the problem. I now have a new fuel filter which I will fit tomorrow - any tips on this would be great.

Thanks.
    Vic

Originally posted by Vic1958
    Now I've found this brilliant site I want to learn how to do my own fixes, rather than bankrupting myself through Dingles (Toyota) in Norwich.

Can anyone tell me where I can find an idiots guide with diagrams to servicing a 2.4 TD Auto?

Mine sometimes starts and sometimes doesn't. I just had new glow plugs and a main fuse fitted. It started yesterday morning (very cold) and again in the afternoon (sunny and warm). Today it refuses to start.

Having studied this forum for hours I came to the conclusion that the fuel system is the problem. I now have a new fuel filter which I will fit tomorrow - any tips on this would be great.

Thanks.

hi Vic when you change the fuel filter fill it up with redex b4 fitting and then drive it like you stole it just to give the injectors a good clean thru

have a read thru this for serving
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62
    Last edited by stormforce; 2 September 2006, 16:22.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks Stormforce - can I just confirm with you that I need to fill the filter with Redex - do I also have to press that hand pump once I've fitted the filter so it's full of diesel aswell?

I'm not a natural auto mechanic so I need to make sure I've got it right!!
      Vic

Comment

Thanks Stormforce - can I just confirm with you that I need to fill the filter with Redex - do I also have to press that hand pump once I've fitted the filter so it's full of diesel aswell?

I'm not a natural auto mechanic so I need to make sure I've got it right!!
        Yup and yup. Personally, I chuck the redex in the tank, but chucking it in the filter
        gets to work quicker. Keep pumping the primer until it goes really stiff. Also,
        when you say not starting, in what way exactly? Is the engine not turning over,
        or is it turning over but not firing? Is there a lot of smoke when she fires?

Comment

Thanks.

If the fuel filter hasn't been changed for a few years, or the fuel tank has been allowed to run nearly on empty, then it may be clogged with crud.

Another thing to check, is does the fuel filler cap hiss when you unscrew it?
          Could be a blocked tank breather, causing a vacuum and an intermittent fuel delivery.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

The engine turns no problem, but won't fire. On the occasions it does start it does chuck out black smoke, but once I have driven a little way there's no more black smoke.

There's no hiss from the fuel filler cap, so hopefully no vacuum problem.

My surf is a 91 import and although I've had it serviced 3 times in the last 4 years I am sure the fuel filter has not been changed - and yes, I have driven it with a near empty tank on occasions.

I just bought myself a set of spanners and am now going to change the filter and clean up anything that looks like it needs it.

Thanks again.
            Vic

Comment

New fuel filter - still not starting

I put a new fuel filter on - gave it a drop of redex and primed it with the hand pump. Turning over great but not firing. Any ideas about where to look next gratefully received . Looks like I'm on the pushbike for work tomorrow!

P.S. I just got it started with a bit of easystart. The engine sounds and feels smoother than before. Have I actually had a result here! Find out tomorrow morning when it's cold.
              Last edited by Vic1958; 3 September 2006, 13:48.
              Vic

Comment

Working...
              X