Servicing queries........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servicing queries........

Well more queries which have come about as a result of doing the 120k service today, I'm following the service schedule on the Oz site.

1 In checking the drive belts I notice that the alternator/fan belts (twin ones) jump up and down quite a lot, in rythm with the running of the engine. I've checked the flex and can't rotate them more than 90 degrees, would this point to another problem or is it normal?

2 The one job where I will definitely come unstuck is in checking valve clearances as I don't have the valve lifter needed. Maybe a silly question but how important is it?

3 I've just replaced the fluid in the rear diff, now what's the best method to do it in the front one? Obviously it's not so easy to get at. The other thing, is it really necessary as I've only used 4wd once this year

4 I've read the web how to's about changing the coolant, which I need to do next. I'm planning to use a cleaner too before I do it but 2 Q's; should I bother changing the thermostat and cap at the same time (I think I know the answer!) Also, the last time I did this to a car it was a nightmare, had to almost have the thing at 45 degrees so as not get air locks etc, is it really that easy with a surf? I see the top of the rad's nice and high so that would make it easier I guess.

OK, that would be it for now!

With regards to the cooling system, replace rad cap and 'stat. False economy
    not to. When refilling with coolant, use a narrow tipped funnel. It'll limit the rate
    at which you can pour in the coolant. Vastly reduces the chances of airlocks.
    You always need to check the coolant levels for several days, but you should
    find it a lot easier that way. Slow and steady.

Comment

Thanks Matt, that makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Working...
      X