Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!!!

HI ALL,
    I HAVE HAD MY SURF (1994 2.4 auto) FOR A YEAR NOW AND ONLY JUST GOT IT BACK FROM THE GARAGE (CRACKED HEAD (HAD THE PROBS BEFORE THE HEAD WAS CHANGED) & NEW EXHAUST) & CANT WAIT TO DO SOME WORK ON IT MYSELF!!

HAVING A FEW PROBS WITH THE POWER THO....... THE SURF APPEARS TO RUN FINE ON THE FLAT CHANGING AT ABOUT 2250/3000 RPM BUT ON HILLS IT BARELY DOES 10/12 MPH AND DOESNT CHG TILL AROUND 3250/3500 RPM GOING UP THEM AND LABOUR'S HORRIBLY.
    I WOULD TAKE IT TO TOYOTA AS I NEED INFO ON 'HOW TO' ON THE TRUCK MYSELF,BUT WAS QUOTED £92.70 PER HOUR FROM THE TOYOTA DEALER IN SALISBURY, LESS PARTS & NONE OF THE MECHANICS AROUND HERE SEEM TO KNOW ABOUT SURFS ( ALL THEY DO IS SHRUG THEIR SHOULDERS AND SCRATCH THEIR HEADS!!!), APPART FROM THIS THE TRUCK IS A GEM AND RUNS FINE.(ENGINE CHK LIGHT ON & ABOUT TO TRY OUT THE ENGINE FAULT CODES THIS AVO)
    MY THOUGHTS ARE THAT IT MAY BE EITHER THE;

1. TURBO BUT YOU CAN HEAR IT WINDING UP
    2. THE OIL PUMP
    3. THE AUTO BOX (ANY WAY FOR A NOVICE TO CHANGE THE PRESSURE SETTINGS?)
    4. AN AIR LEAK
    5. THE INJECTORS

IT HAS JUST HAD A MAJOR SERVICE ON FRI PRIOR TO MOT.

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST BUT AS BEING NEW TO THIS I COULD DO WITH ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!!!!!, ALSO IS THERE ANY INFO ON DOING THE BASICS (I.E SERVICING AND A SCHEMATIC SHOWING WHERE THE LOCATIONS OF THE MAIN PARTS IN THE ENGINE),

I KNOW ITS A SUNDAY BUT IM DUE TO GO UP TO SCOTLAND AT THE END OF THE WEEK & ANY HELP ANYONE CAN GIVE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRICIATED.
    Last edited by wiggy; 6 August 2006, 12:17.
    The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

give Tonyn a shout at www.4x4toys.co.uk he's not too far from you
    if you don't have any luck here
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Welcome to the mad house
      I can't help much with your problems but have a good search around the forum, If you still have no joy you could try Tonyn as he is in Basingstoke and mainly works on surfs you can find his contact details here

www.4x4toys.co.uk
      I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
        give Tonyn a shout at www.4x4toys.co.uk he's not too far from you
        if you don't have any luck here
        Snap
        I must learn to type faster
        I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Vacuum pipe. Perished or not connected.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62

Halfway down the page, the pipe coloured red.

Comment

Thanks

CHEERS FOR THE IDEAS!

Have checked the vaccum pump and it's connected and the actual hose is fine (not perished or cracked), but it is connected to a sensor & was wondering what that governed? also checked the filter on the hose & that seems ok too, so still scratching my head!!

Comment

end of my tether!!

stll not having much luck with the surf!! turbo checked & fans spinning ( no smoke from the engine), vaccum tube connected, still distinct lack of power but engine wants to change gear but cant seem to (possible Auto Box prob?)
              tried emailing your man at 4x4fun but with no joy. does anyone know any garages that would be good to consult around Blandford/Poole/Salisbury area as im gettin a bit out my depth & could do with some pointers!!

Help much appreciated..

Comment

Wiggy. Try phoning Tony. He is very busy and his PM box is always full.
                It might be something as simple as a hose put back in the wrong place when your head was changed. Tony has worked on so many Surfs he may spot it straight away. It may be worth the (slow) drive to Basingstoke.

Good luck with it.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by wiggy
                  stll not having much luck with the surf!! turbo checked & fans spinning ( no smoke from the engine), vaccum tube connected, still distinct lack of power but engine wants to change gear but cant seem to (possible Auto Box prob?)
                  tried emailing your man at 4x4fun but with no joy. does anyone know any garages that would be good to consult around Blandford/Poole/Salisbury area as im gettin a bit out my depth & could do with some pointers!!

Help much appreciated..
                  Try giving Tony a ring (number on website), that normally gets a quicker answer than emailing him.

Did it run fine before the service? Why don't you just take it back there? What did the fault codes tell you?

Comment

Jack up the rear of your truck (put a house brick or similar either side of one or both of the front wheels) and release the handbrake, gearshift in neutral, and turn the rear wheels by hand to make sure the rear brakes aren't sticking.

Check all the hoses/ducting from the air filter to the turbo and from the turbo to the throttle body for splits.

I assume the air filter was replaced when you had the service, but check it anyway. Also, there should be a sensor plugged into the air filter outlet tube, make sure it's there and not dangling down somewhere.

Check transmission fluid level, with engine running.

And for service checks, see my post here....
                    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...hlight=awesome

Comment

my boost gauge pipe fell off the other day and its like you say... if i stick my hand on the pipe then all the power comes back. check the pipes going to the "turbo boost" box if you havent done so already.

i hope its something simple.
                      Tim
                      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Problem Child Again!!

Lo again gents!!
                        Probably being bl**dy minded but wanted to try everything first to learn about the surf & before i fork out more cash!!!

Will call your man tomorrow (Tonyn) but tryin to sort it first befor a really long drive. i would take it back to the garage that changed the head but it took him 8 months to fix it & none of the other garages around here would touch it unless it was for a sevice. Ok here we go............

Checked the trans fluid while running & all ok.
                        checked the air sensor affixed & connected fine.
                        brand spankin new air filter fitted on service.
                        Put up truck & checked wheels not lockin'.
                        Checked all tubes that i can find, none disconnected or perished & checked connectors (seem ok some were a bit manky so cleaned & replaced.
                        all fuses checked & ok).
                        booster not too sure where to look but around throttle mechanism & top of engine all affixed & secure.

with the diagnostics, jumped TE1 to E1 and seems to be a two digit code counting to 13 which is the SAME AS 12 ABOVE BUT AFTER ENGINE HAS RUN AT 1,000-1,500

RPM SIGNAL-NO SIGNAL TO ECU FROM DISTRIBUTOR ("Ne" OR "G") AFTER ENGINE HAS BEEN CRANKED
                        --DISTRIBUTOR/CIRCUIT
                        --STARTERSIGNAL CIRCUIT
                        --IGNITER/IGNITER CIRCUIT
                        --ECU

Also checked it while running but with the same result.
                        Also tried the HARD swich which seemed to improve power up hills on a test but showed up what looks like a green spark plug on the dash)

Thought it might be stuck in 4x4 mode but no light to indicate on dash & wouldnt explain lack of starf off pwr.
                        ???????????
                        Just wanted to say thanks again for all your help. learning loads (but does anyone know a good s$$$$py!!!! only jokin!!! )

Comment

Hard switch just makes your shocks go a bit more solid. It won't help the power at all. Might stop you from feeling seasick but nowt else. Picture is supposed to be a shock absorber...

Comment

My money's on the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)
                            A new one is the only solution.

Hold everything, scratch what I just said. I've just re-read your last post and if it's a code 12 then it's a fuel pump problem, either electrical or the timing belt has jumped a tooth or two.

here are the diesel codes...

1 - Normal
                            2 - Turbo boost pressure sensor
                            4 - Coolant temperature sensor
                            5 - Correction resistance (Pump)
                            6 - Pump speed sensor (Pump)
                            7 - Throttle position sensor
                            8 - Intake air temperature sensor
                            9 - Vehicle speed sensor
                            10 - Starter switch
                            11 - Switch sign (Vehicle not in P or N or A/C on)
                            12 - Timer control valve (Pump)
                            13 - Crank position sensor
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 11 August 2006, 10:16.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me about this
                              Will re check the codes this avo but it was coming up with 13 everytime yestetday so if it was the crank position sensor, is that a big job?

Comment

Working...
                              X