White Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dibnah65
    It's a 2.4td and if memory serves it's a 93...on a K plate anyhow.
    I had the timing belt done because it had reached 100,000 miles and it seemed like the thing to do....and the rad had developed a few pin prick holes along the top....after a year of putting Araldite over them once a month, I thought it time to splash out on a replacemaent part.

It is smoke as far as I am concerned...doesn't leave a moisture patch if you hold your hand in it...and is slightly "Sweet" smelling as best as I can describe it.
    The header tank is full and has been every time I've looked at it in the 5 years I've had the vehicle. The top hose is not rigid,but does have fluid in it.

I don't think it is a cracked head...the previous owner had the head replaced just before I bought it...also it does not overheat....well not before the new rad and not now I've done all the clips and new rad hoses....and I suspect overheating was down to lack of water in the system......It certainly stopped doing it when I topped the system up.
    It's just this sudden white smoke thing that has me scratchin my head.
    If it was alright before, the most likely thing (from a relative layman's point of view) is that the mechanic c0cked something up when he did the timing belt. Personally, if white smoke came out of my exhaust after I'd had some work done, I'd take it back and tell them to fix it (for free).

Comment

Take it back

Totally agree with Sancho take it back no worries any more.Keep us informed on how it goes,any hassle trading standards.Good luck mate.

Comment

White smoke is unburnt fuel, it would black if it was getting burnt!!! Also white smoke could be water, but it would stay white all the time and water level would drop! If it goes away when you rev it, then it tells me that the pump timing is advanced. Putting in too much diesel on tick over yet managing to burn it off on higher revs, black smoke may be seen then?
        What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys...unfortunately the white smoke only appeared after I changed the rad hoses......Update to smokey problems.I've spent the last 2 days driving around with the heaters on full blast(which is nice in this weather!!) as advised....hope it wasn't a joke.....and that seems to have helped a lot. The whitw smokw is now not there at all when the engine is cold....once it has warmed up there is a small amount,but nothing like the levels there were the other day. I did notice when I turned her off at work that there was a hissing coming out of the filler cap on top of the thermostst housing...it was still doing it 9 hours later when I returned!!!

I take this to be air in the system bleeding out as it is a brand new cap.I also noticed that now I have replaced some of the pipe clips, other pipes further round the system are weeping/leaking.....so I've just been and bought a bucket of jubilee clips and a roll of new hose,to try and cure all of these...I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by dibnah65
            I take this to be air in the system bleeding out as it is a brand new cap.I also noticed that now I have replaced some of the pipe clips, other pipes further round the system are weeping/leaking.....so I've just been and bought a bucket of jubilee clips and a roll of new hose,to try and cure all of these...I'll let you know how it goes.
            If you happen to know someone who has any forging tools, try to borrow
            a long handled flat headed pair of tongs, with a head slightly wider than
            the width of the spring tabs on the old clips. They will make removing the
            old clips a lot easier than using any form of pliers or grips. Also, tighten up
            your Jubilee clips, go for a run to get the thermostat to kick in and all the
            hoses warm, then when the engine cools somewhat just nip the Jubilee's
            up a turn or two more. BTW, some of those hoses are a b@?*$rd to get
            off, so be prepared. You'll think they welded some of them on.

Comment

Previous owner

You said that the previous owner had the head done. Sorry to bring this up but have you any proof.

Comment

If, when the other parts of the system have been checked, replaced or
                repaired, the problem still exists, then it may be worthwhile investigating
                the head if the problem still exists. The timing of the fault appearance
                does tend to lean towards other possible causes, however.

However, saying that, you mention there was no problem overheating
                before or now, but seem to point to it having done so at some point? If
                so, any chance of being a bit more specific?

Comment

White smoke and blue-white smoke share some of the same characteristics. White smoke is fuel not being burned.
                  Extreme white smoke can be caused by the combustion chambers cooling down. One cause of this could be incorrect injection pump timing. Coolant getting into the combustion chamber can cause white smoke also. Possible causes are blown head gaskets, cracked heads cavitation, etc.

Comment

Well.....that seems to have fixed it...although I no longer have any skin on me knucles......new pipes and decent clips through out. No more leaking,gas build up and most importantly no more clouds of white smoke. I can only presume that water was getting into somewhere it shouldn't from one of the many leaks......once again thanks for all the helpful hints chaps.

Comment

Working...
                    X