starter motor click!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter motor click!

Surf has now produced the imfamous click..click..click that i've read so much about on this forum, and now the swine has wiped my battery out for good measure.
    Problem being, i'm not a mechanic, i don't have the tools, and most of all, if i did have the tools, they'd probably be through the windscreen by now. I've removed the wheel, but my stumpy didgets connot get in to the bolts. I've even had a mobile car maintenance guy round, he took one look at the job, laughed and said good luck..f***in to**er , claims he doesn't have the tools or space in the engine bay to do the job.
    Its a 2nd gen 2.4td (in burgandy if that also helps), anyone in the Leeds vacinity with experience of doing the job and has the tools, time and willingness to come round and aid, advise, get loads of coffee from the missus to get it going again? I have the new solenoids and am willing to pay for your time and effort.
    Anybody? Pleeze? Pretty pleeze?
    Is it supposed to sound like this??

Have you hit it with a hammer? Always used to work on my old Astra.

Comment

Have a read of this first, it may be a bad earth connection, as you say the battery is now flat.
      http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/starter.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
        Have you hit it with a hammer? Always used to work on my old Astra.

All Astras should be beaten with a hammer!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          Have a read of this first, it may be a bad earth connection, as you say the battery is now flat.
          http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/starter.htm
          Yeh, we tried jump starting it and sparking the leads, and the obligatory hammer, although haven't tried hitting it with an old Astra..

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            All Astras should be beaten with a hammer!
            That one especially. It had an electronic 'choke' that was like an automatic flooding device, the clutch had to be tightened before every journey and I had to spend five minutes putting all the switches back in the dashboard everytime I closed the door or went over a pot hole.

Gold with a beige interior - very stylish.

Comment

Hi

You say you have new solenoids, is this the repair kit that roughtrax do?
              Reason I ask is when I done mine the only option was too replace the whole unit as the kit only fits the 3.0ltr.

easy job to do but laods of patience and your knuckles will be worse for wear.

Steve
              Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Originally posted by Esamed
                Hi

You say you have new solenoids, is this the repair kit that roughtrax do?
                Reason I ask is when I done mine the only option was too replace the whole unit as the kit only fits the 3.0ltr.

easy job to do but laods of patience and your knuckles will be worse for wear.

Steve
                No, these are from our local neighbourhood super hero Toyota dealer, especially for the 2.4td.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey2119
                  No, these are from our local neighbourhood super hero Toyota dealer, especially for the 2.4td.

Matey, I did my old 2.4 on the drive not far from you (ilkley) and made a special bent spanner, it was an awful job. I would rather eat sand than do another one. but look thru my posts around feb and you will see how i managed it.

If i can find the spanner i will loan it to you but I am moving house and have no idea where it is. How soon do you have to get this job done?

I know a bloke in Bradford that fully refurbed mine for 30 quid with all new contacts. the problem in the end was the earth lead from the motor casing to the chassis had rotted thru at the connection with the terminal

try this http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20865

and this http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20877

Good luck.

Al.

Al.
                  Last edited by phoebelala; 24 July 2006, 14:54.
                  I used to have a surf me!

Comment

There is no hardship in any motor vehicle, unless its french????????????

I did mine, stripped it, cleaned it, and refitted it within an hour and a half, you have to move the fuel filter out the way (no need to disconnect, its moves ok) Then the vaccuum hoses where egr is, mine is just one 12mm bolt (no need to disconnect) Then the air filter has to come out and a bracket with three 12mm bolts (no hardship).
                    The starter can then come through the top. Remove the two bolts, 18mm i think? And the rear support bolts if you have them. I done it with basic tools! You have to undo the motor from under the car and bring it out the top!
                    Then strip motor. Just try
                    taken top off? Three screws, this will reveal the copper washers ect? I bet there dirty, give them a bit emry paper treatment and spray the lot with wd40, build it back up and hey presto. Make sure you dont knock the water temp sensor next to No4 cyl on cy head.

I think thats right?
                    What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Cheers Gazbo, heres hoping weather keeps up for the weekend and i'll give it another go. I had already removed fuel filter and wheel, but not the rest. i have the replacement parts, just couldn't get to bolts on starter thats all.
                      Well, fingers crossed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gazbo
                        There is no hardship in any motor vehicle, unless its french????????????

I did mine, stripped it, cleaned it, and refitted it within an hour and a half, you have to move the fuel filter out the way (no need to disconnect, its moves ok) Then the vaccuum hoses where egr is, mine is just one 12mm bolt (no need to disconnect) Then the air filter has to come out and a bracket with three 12mm bolts (no hardship).
                        The starter can then come through the top. Remove the two bolts, 18mm i think? And the rear support bolts if you have them. I done it with basic tools! You have to undo the motor from under the car and bring it out the top!
                        Then strip motor. Just try
                        taken top off? Three screws, this will reveal the copper washers ect? I bet there dirty, give them a bit emry paper treatment and spray the lot with wd40, build it back up and hey presto. Make sure you dont knock the water temp sensor next to No4 cyl on cy head.

I think thats right?

Wow, I should have asked you before I started mine
                        Makes is sound easy

I am not worthy

Al.
                        I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Wah hay!!!!!!! It's back on the road!!!
                          3 BL**DY weeks without the Surf and shez goin again.
                          Had to get mechanic out tho to get out starter motor, take it to the place phoebelala suggested..£55 to replace all parts and test..then get mechanic to put it back in..£40..New battery for good measure as it was only half charging...and wool-ah, bobs your uncle, fannies your aunt..its bleedin workin again.

Open road...here i come.

ps. thanks to all for the suggestions, but i really am not a mechanic!

Comment

Working...
                          X