Use of overdrive 2.4 auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of overdrive 2.4 auto

It has been suggested to me that keeping the overdrive on at all times with an automatic transmission will improve fuel economy even when all driving is within town. We'd always thought o/d was just for use when cruising.
    Does any other automatic owner have any comment on this , or indeed any tips for maximising fuel economy on an auto box truck.

Thanks

DS
    Last edited by dsedin; 23 July 2006, 10:29.

Leave it switched on.

Comment

Switch it off when pootling around, (under 40mph) switch it on when you're able to go over 40mph for a sustained time.

Comment

I leave mine switched on!
        Debbie

Comment

Mine is on all the time
          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Switch it off when pootling around, (under 40mph) switch it on when you're able to go over 40mph for a sustained time.
            If I remember correctly, it doesn't kick in until around 50'ish anyhow,
            or is it lower?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
              If I remember correctly, it doesn't kick in until around 50'ish anyhow,
              or is it lower?
              gearbox locks into top at about 45 mph if driving easy,
              all modern autobox dont give you a choice you put it in drive and away you go

if its economy you want then sell it and buy a prius or the new lexus hybrid
              Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

It's around 40, the gearbox goes into top gear at 50ish, providing the overdrive is on.

Comment

Knew I could remember 50 for some reason.

Comment

Do all auto Surfs have an overdrive?

I've never noticed if I have one - how do I tell, and how would I switch it on?

Comment

Originally posted by JimSuperSix
                      Do all auto Surfs have an overdrive?

I've never noticed if I have one - how do I tell, and how would I switch it on?
                      on the side of the shift lever for p r d 1 2 l you will find a small button press that in and the od goes off and a light on the dash comes on to let you know its off
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

if the overdrive is switched off, is the truck in its 'normal' setting? what should it be like with the overdrive switched off? should it be slower?
                        9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!

Comment

With the o/d off it won't take top gear (4th), so it's in theory got more pull when overtaking/going up hills/towing. Leave it on unless you need it off. Certainly shouldn't slow you down turning it off....

.....unless you're doing 90 when you turn it off.
                          =========
                          =SOLD UP!=
                          =========

Comment

haha! would be an excelent way to flush out the cobwebs
                            9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!

Comment

Mines on all the time......and it's the button marked O/D on the side of the gear selector on 2.4td's.......sorry,hope that didn't sound sarcastic.

Comment

Working...
                              X