No four wheel drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No four wheel drive

Hi everyone I have just become a surf owner and have a couple of questions as this 4x4 lark is all new to me. I bought my surf privately and have just found out that the 4 wheel drive is not working the little knob that the 4x4 button is on is loose and can be taken off there are no wires or anything in there so can anyone help me to sort this out, I know I should have tested it when I bought it, but I didn`t, the truck is lovely and I would only use the 4x4 in snow but I would like to get it working if possible. Also my spare wheel is underneath and I would like to mount it on the back, can the wheel carriers be retro fitted and if so where can I get one.

Thanks
    Andy

If you can get a pillar mount rear wheel carrier, it can be retrofitted.
    Someone on here has already done it, so should be able to offer
    more advice on the specifics.

With the 4wd button, there should be two wires running from a
    connector at the underside front of the centre console, up inside
    the 4wd gear lever skirt upto a button where the 4wd button is.
    To remove the 4wd gear lever and skirt, there is one screw just
    underneath the head of the 4wd gear knob. Remove that, and it
    will slide up off the shaft.

Edit: Welcome to the club as well.
    Last edited by MattF; 16 July 2006, 09:25.

Comment

andy,
      welcome to the madhouse....
      all the info you will ever need will be found on this site...
      you got pics of your truck ??

carl.....
      Attached Files
      gettin coooooler... and dark....

Comment

Originally posted by Andy1969
        Hi everyone I have just become a surf owner and have a couple of questions as this 4x4 lark is all new to me. I bought my surf privately and have just found out that the 4 wheel drive is not working the little knob that the 4x4 button is on is loose and can be taken off there are no wires or anything in there so can anyone help me to sort this out, I know I should have tested it when I bought it, but I didn`t, the truck is lovely and I would only use the 4x4 in snow but I would like to get it working if possible. Also my spare wheel is underneath and I would like to mount it on the back, can the wheel carriers be retro fitted and if so where can I get one.

Thanks
        Andy
        hi and welcome.you will be better trying to source the tail gate from a surf with rear mounted spare and you will also have to reinforce the drivers side rear pillar to take the weight of the carrier and wheel.Although it has been done there is a lot of work involved
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Andy1969

Thanks
          Andy

Hi Andy, and welcome on board.
          Is there any paticular reason why you want the spare on the back door? I personally prefer it underneath out the way.
          Re: the 4 wheel drive, does it go into 4wd when you shift the short lever forwards? Put main lever in N or P then push short lever forward, green light 4wd should light up on the dash.

Comment

Thanks for all the replys I think I will keep the spare underneath, I have taken the knob off but there were no wires there, I did as Bushwhacker suggested and put the small lever into low and the 4WD light came on on the dash so I take it that the 4WD is working in low but not in high????[IMG][/IMG] Here is a photo of her
            Attached Files

Comment

nice one....
              gettin coooooler... and dark....

Comment

If it's working in low but not high i reckon the gear lever had a dodgy switch in so the previous owner pulled the wiring out and either re wired a new switch somewhere else or, never got round to fixing it properly.

Just had a look at mine, i have two wires going to the switch, 1 white with black stripe, and 1 pink. They appear to split off the same lot of cables that go to the ECT button. They go into a white connector before they go up to the swich and on the switch side of the connector both wires are black.

It's the two wires to the right of the picture in the black sheath thing
                Attached Files
                Last edited by nero279; 16 July 2006, 17:37.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

Bridge the two wires for the switch. 4WD should activate when doing this. They are earth wires and by doing this you are simply bypassing the switch. If it works repair/replae the switch.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                  X