Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Help Please?

Hi all,
    My Sister is wanting to buy a new tow car for her caravan, she has looked at quite a few big auto estates and I have been trying to get her interested in a 4x4 but her budget is limited. Anyway I have found a couple of circa 1993 2.4 TD Auto Surfs that are in her bracket and wondered if there is anything we should be especially checking when viewing the vehicles. Reading through the forums cylinder heads seem to be a recurring theme are these a bit unreliable? I have a Landcruiser Colorado which has been excellent since purchase although the Air Con has just packed in, are the Hiluxs's similar in performance and reliability. We are probably going to nip out Sunday afternoon and have a look at a few I found in the autotrader so any info before that would be great, really don't want her to buy a duff un and then end up costing her a fortune as she is on very limited funds right now.
    The ones I picked out of trader are 1993 2.4 SSR X TDi Auto 70k miles, 1993 2.4 TD Auto 86k, 1993 2.4 TD Limited Auto 80k, 1991 SSR Ltd 2.4 TD Auto Jap Import.
    Any thoughts or feedback would be great.

Martin.

With the 2.4's, the cylinder head can cause problems. However,
    it is pretty much a suck it and see problem. Some suffer, some
    don't. Provided the head is okay initially, and you take the
    precautions of flushing the cooling system and replacing the
    rad cap and thermostat, it may never happen. Or it may. No way
    to tell. Other than that, just check for the same things you would
    any other vehicle before purchase. Then just remember the fact
    that these vehicles are ten years plus. There will be minor
    problems that require attention. As long as you remember the
    fact that you may need to carry out some maintenance, you'll
    not be disappointed. They are a lovely beast. If you do get one,
    it is also worthwhile having it serviced, and replacing all the filters
    and oils. This, however, applies to pretty much any vehicle.

Comment

slow

very slow if you have any hills like me in newzealand you will find it very slow uphill,,espeacialy towing ,,,,,get a chevy,,or a hilux with a lexus v8 transplanted,,,

Comment

You really want a 3 litre for towing. A 2.4 can tow yes, but you say this is to be a "tow car" which suggests that it will be used mainly for the purpose of towing. If this is the case then I will not be alone in my considered opinion that you really should buy a 3.0. They tend to go for about 800 to a grand more than the 2.4 and fuel consumption is about the same.

Be aware that if you do get a 2.4 and the head goes when towing (or indeed at any other time) you will be facing a 1000 minimum repair bill which would have been better spent on the 3 litre in the first place.

As I say, the 2,4 IS capable of towing and I have myself owned one of these fine vehicles, but the performance of the 3.0 compared the 2.4 is amazing.

I went to northumberland in a 2.4 for christmas and had it full of stuff including a freezer, loads of wood for the fire, 2 dogs, a weeks food and a wife. This was a lot of weight (the other stuff not the wife) and believe me the 2.4 went like a milk float up the A1. This gear weighed far less than a caravan!!!!

Try both on a test drive to get what I mean.

Al.
        Last edited by phoebelala; 4 June 2006, 07:35.
        I used to have a surf me!

Comment

buying info

Read this info on the codlords site as to what to look for also.....
          http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
          It will even tell you about the little red button (ejector seat )
          www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Working...
          X