Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose suspension joints!

Hi ALL,

I recently took my 3.0 surf in for its MOT,and although it passed with flying colours,there were 4 advisory items of note:

Nearside front upper front suspension joint has slight play in a upper suspension ball joint.

Nearside front lower front, the offside front upper front and the offside front lower front, all have the same slight play.

Now, i'm no mechanic! But i'm guessing perhaps this might possibly be just how the ball joints are designed, as they all have the same amount of loose play. If not, i guess my suspensions on its way out!
    Could anyone shead any light atall on this matter, i.e. should i be saving up for a new suspension...or enlightening my local garage on the unusual intricate nature of the surf suspension joints!?

Or they could have just worn all the same, they do the same amount of work.

Seriously, 2.3mm is the max play in the manual, I was told up to 5mm is MOT spec, but don't quote me on that.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

grease them up.
      JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

mine failed on "excessive play" but went to see my mate who's an MOT tester and he said that's the "normal amount"...

he passed it for me... the 2nd gen ball joiunts are about £25 each i think...
        not a rocket science job to do, but messy and need 4 hands and big hammers to do it!
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          I was told up to 5mm is MOT spec, but don't quote me on that.

think it deendson size of bar and weight of tester!

they checked mine with a 6 ft wrecking bar!... fools!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Big thanks to ALL,

Not sure i had some big fat grease monkey with a 6ft wrecking bar! Just a wee Indian fella with a pencil..and evidently no ruler.. as i got no mm reading on the play. Yet still some very insightful answers...i can always depend on you guys on this site to put a record straight!

I'm away now to price up ball joints
            Thanks chaps.

Comment

Working...
            X