No announcement yet.

turbo shagged????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is there anything in the actuator containing oil, because the rod that comes from the actuator has oil on it and around by that gator, if so then do i need a specifically toyota/surf actuator? sorry for such dumb questions fellas!!
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

No oil as I know of as that would perish the rubber diaphram .
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        Sounds like its overboosting, which isn't normally a knackered turbo, but the pressure release jammed or broken.
        Yep I can comfirm that how????? cos mine did it.You will probably find that the diaphram inside the actuater ( I think thats wot its called,its that little drum like thing with the rod that goes to the turbo) has split.Bad news is that its best to get a new one,but its better that a new turbo.I'll check my EPC.

Yep it is called the actuator but I cant get you the part number cos every time I click on it the EPC says ERROR stupid computers.
        Last edited by sumo; 22 April 2006, 21:24.
        If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
          No oil as I know of as that would perish the rubber diaphram .
          not the oil just wear and tear,but it will let the oil run back and leak out.
          If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

just removed heat shield, undone actuator plate and tried moving the rod, and it was welded solid, a bit of magic (WD40), lots of swearing and a bit of sweat got it moving a little, then lots, so give it good spraying with the magic can, bolted everything back together and away i went, but the red light still came on at 10psi.

so i am now convinced that turbo ok (coz i can hear it and it definately pullling) but actuator shot, and has been forever and thats why over time the rod become solid.

thats my theory anyway, so i'll try find a new one. does this sound like the right diagnosis?

at least with the boost guage in place i know when the light is going to come on and hopefully in the meantime i'll not blow the thing up!

thanks for the help again guys
            i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

I have a couple of duff Turbos we could try the actuator off, when you come up for the spare wheel winch.......

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Right , I had a look at Uncle Sumo's 1st Gen today and it is simple .
                A line from the inlet turbo side goes to the actuator . This runs at turbo pressure , when the line pressure reaches a set pressure it pushes the actuator and opens the dump valve into the exhaust .
                If the actuator is seized or the diaphram is perished the turbo will over boost .
                As Tony says , get one of his spare ones and give it a go .
                Sailsbury next week ?
                Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Can you send me the turbovacuum.gif

Hi Vince,

I have the same turbo not functioning problems as you have been giving advice on (Green light at start up, and then no green light after starting, ie, no turbo function, and car sluggish). Can you send me the turbovacuum.gif?

Cheers mate

danjellis1@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                  X