Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right or Wrong engine

Hi All,

My better half has a 2.4 first gen on a 1990 plate. When she bought it (against my advice) she was told it had an engine transplant. Our local mechanic said he knew the guy who did the job and would confirm exactly what it is. It has a 2L-T badge on the air intake pipe and I am wondering whether in fact it IS a 2.4 surf engine after all. It looks to fit very well for a "shoe horn" job. For example the pipes and cables look to be original and wires are on original connectors without joins or scotchlocks. Has anyone any photos of the 2.4 first gen under the bonnet for comparison?

I think the head gasket has gone and if it's a surf engine it might be worth opening up, but if we don't know what it is it's probably not worth it. The rest of the car is Ok and the engine still runs fine, but oil/water mixed so it looks like a gasket at least if not the head.

2LT is a 2.4 TD engine. are you sure it is a 1st gen, does it look like my motor? (avatar)
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Have a look on this thread, plenty of pics of Sumo's 2.4 1st gen in it.

Like Logey mentioned, it shouldn't be older than '88 if its a 1st gen.

Could just be the gasket, when the heads crack it normally doesn't involve the oil. Just pressureising the cooling system.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Tony, You haven't posted the link.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

I think it's this one...
          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ghlight=begins

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Thats the one!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              Thats the one!

The only problem with those photos is he has already stripped it. I am looking for something I can compare with which is still intact. I have only just finished putting mine back together so not desperate to get the spanners out again just yet!

Are there any around with an engine in situ? I had always thought it was a first gen as the body looks older than mine. It has an older fashioned grille and headlights and different coloured wheel arches (black). The interior and tailgate/wheel carrier are pretty much the same though. Could it just be a different model to mine, which is an SSRX?

Comment

Originally posted by waveydavey00
                The only problem with those photos is he has already stripped it. I am looking for something I can compare with which is still intact. I have only just finished putting mine back together so not desperate to get the spanners out again just yet!

Are there any around with an engine in situ? I had always thought it was a first gen as the body looks older than mine. It has an older fashioned grille and headlights and different coloured wheel arches (black). The interior and tailgate/wheel carrier are pretty much the same though. Could it just be a different model to mine, which is an SSRX?
                If it has a tailgate mounted spare it is not a 1st gen .They never had them
                Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by waveydavey00

Toyota did a facelift on the Surfs in, I think, 1990 (ish). The facelift changed the grill, headlamps, and a few other minor tweaks, so my guess is that your girlfriend has a pre-facelift version.

Still classed as a Gen 2, tho!!
                  It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                    Toyota did a facelift on the Surfs in, I think, 1990 (ish). The facelift changed the grill, headlamps, and a few other minor tweaks, so my guess is that your girlfriend has a pre-facelift version.

Still classed as a Gen 2, tho!!
                    Also did not have the removable rear roof section
                    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

mine and me bro's both 2 gens
                      ones a 1989
                      ones a 1993

brothers is a two door, under slung, none efi grey one
                      mine five door, wheel carrier on rear door, is efi and is of course red
                      john
                      Last edited by mud skipper; 28 March 2008, 14:26.
                      Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                        Also did not have the removable rear roof section
                        I meant a facelift on the 2nd Gen model, not a new gen!!
                        It just does, OK?

Comment

[brothers is a two door, under slung, none efi grey one
                          mine five door, wheel carrier on rear door, is efi and is of course red
                          john[/QUOTE]

Ah ha! It appears we have a set similar to these two. Mine must be the facelift whilst 'ers is a pre facelift second gen 'cos it looks just like the grey one in this photo.

Is there any chance of a photo of the engine bay of your brother's 'cos it looks like that's what she has?

Comment

engine pic

should look like this one
                            Attached Files

Comment

Spooky! The paint on my air filter housing has come off in the exact same place as the one in that pic!

Comment

Working...
                              X