are these power figures right guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are these power figures right guys?

I'm just on the brink of purchasing my first surf and was wondering if the power figures for the 2.4 and 3.0 TD's I have below are correct?

2.4 TD

Max power 71kW (95.2BHP) @ 3800rpm
    Max torque 240Nm (177lbft)@ 2400rpm

3.0 TD

Max power 96kW (129BHP) @ 3600rpm
    Max torque 289Nm (213lbft) @ 2000rpm

Altough i would dearly love to just go for the 3 litre TD, I'm not sure my budget is gonna stretch to one as this is a second car. This has lead me to look at a lot of 2.4's and some UK 4runners too.

Does the 2.4 really feel as much slower than the 3.0?

I understand the risk of going with the 2.4 due to the cylinder head, but that asside, is the 2.4 substantially slower on the road?

I'm buying the surf primarily for lugging work stuff, dogs etc not off roading (although i'm sure it won't be long before I venture off road in it).

My other car is a BMW M3 and the missus drives a mini cooper S so we have speed kinda covered there, what we want is something to help us with a house conversion (tip runs, B&Q ect) so speed is not really a huge factor.

I know this question has been asked before, but is a £2500 2.4 gonna be a bag of trouble.. if so whats the minimum I'm looking at for a 3.0?

I have been offered a very clean 2.4 this weekend for £2500 and I'm really tempted to just go for it and risk the cylinder head prob...

95 hp from a 2.4 ??????????????????????
    Might have been that from factory.
    now I rekon mine has about the same as a large ride-on mower
    Simon.O.
    '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by Simon.O.
      95 hp from a 2.4 ??????????????????????
      It's true but there only little horses -

Nev

Comment

anyone who has done some engine work been on a rolling road?
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

My 2.4 isn't the quickest thing on the road, but around town etc. it's more than adequate.
          Even on the motorway, it'll sit happily at 80, but it does take a little while to get there....

For what you want it for, I say go for it!!!!!
          It just does, OK?

Comment

Mines o.k., I can smoke the rear tyres pulling out of junctions If I want.

Comment

I believe one of the aussie sites had the BHP at 95 at the Crank but it works out about 45 - 50 at the rear wheel. One guy did a bit of creative diesel tuing (no mods) and managed about 60 at the rear.
              I am the friend of Hypno-Toad

Comment

Working...
              X