Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with my 2.4 pressurising

Hi,
    I have a 92 2,4 td surf, i bought the car 6 weeks ago and from the 4th day it was pressurising the water system and putting all its water in the expansion tank.so far i've put on head gasket, brand new head, water pump, thermostat, rad cap!
    Its been on the road for 1 week and i've been very bothered because the water pipes are very pressurised, and today it started putting out al;l its water again, i've noticed that its only when i put load on the engine, mainly towing, (which is why i bought the car!)

I'm at my wits end because i'm sure its not the engine is there anything else to try,

also tried disconnecting the turbo but no help, bleed the system 10 times so far!

HELP before i go and buy a L200!

John

Most likely an air lock. Did you make sure the front and rear heaters were set to hot before topping up the coolant? Also, remove the top rad hose from the thermostat end hold the end of the hose up and fill it with coolant and quickly refit it. Then run the engine up to temp with the rad cap off untill the thermostat opens topping up as requiered. Make sure ther is only enough coolant in the expansion tant to submerge the end of the tube to prevent air being sucked in.

Comment

Hi
      yeah done that, i read about all these problems but most are sorted with a new head! what else to look for?

Comment

i've noticed that its only when i put load on the engine, mainly towing, (which is why i bought the car!)

Hope this helps. Chop it in for a 3 litre. 2.4's are great but towing regular is best left to a 3,,,,,,,,,, so i believe.
        I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Maybe your heater matrix is blocked, or the two metal tubes that run along side the cylinder head. The heater control is attatched to the bulkhead, try pulling the hoses off and flushing through both ways with a hose pipe.

Comment

sorry i forgot to say i get perfect piping hot heaters
            but i will try that tomorrow

Comment

Must be the two metal tubes or the radiator. Also check your viscous fan is working correctly. loose when cold, tight when hot.

Comment

brand new rad, its the same problem that cracked my head so its something thats still the same i'll check those metal pipes tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Moffatt
                  Hi,
                  so far i've put on head gasket, brand new head, water pump, thermostat, rad cap!

John
                  The fan is the only thing left........ There was a spate of people with fan/heating issues I cleaned mine out and locked it up with a tube of silicone because I'm to heffing lazy to pick up one from Tony

Search for viscous fan
                  http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sea...earchid=247088
                  Last edited by DaveD; 14 April 2006, 08:11.

Comment

since you have done all the obvious stuff, lets try something silly! whats your transmission fluid like? mine got very hot last year when i was towing, i fitted a transmission cooler and changed the fluid, and that seemed to cure it..
                    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

OK You have a new head etc, ec, etc. Who replaced it? Was the correct thickness gasket used? Were new head bolts used? Was the block checked for warpage or cracks and corrosion?
                      Nev

Comment

Myself and my mate were both good with engines i ordered the head gasket before i knew there was other thickness's, new head bolts and the block was cleaned up, but we did't check because the head was so bad! i'm beginning to think that the block has a crack in it.

I think i should just put a V8 in her? that will sort the problems

Comment

Working...
                        X