Where is my coolant going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is my coolant going?

My 2.4 has suddenly started loosing coolant badly, but I can't quite figure out where.

The temperature gauge behaves well. The hoses don't feel like they have pressure in when cold and have pressure but not to much when hot. there's no sign of anything going into the expansion bottle at any time. To me that seems to rule out the head going.

As far as I can get round with a torch there's nothing seeping out round the head gasket.

When I stop the car hot, nothing seems to come out until I have turned it off for a minute or two. then coolant comes dripping off at a fast drip. It is dripping off the back edge of the radiator under the sump guard, which I think is the aircon radiator, but I'm not sure if it is landing on there from higher up, could be off the water pump I guess but I can't see it.

Any helpfull ideas? I have a bottle of radseal but I havn't put it in yet.

What do you think?

HELP ME!!!!

Dave

Originally posted by Medieval Dave
    My 2.4 has suddenly started loosing coolant badly, but I can't quite figure out where.

The temperature gauge behaves well. The hoses don't feel like they have pressure in when cold and have pressure but not to much when hot. there's no sign of anything going into the expansion bottle at any time. To me that seems to rule out the head going.

As far as I can get round with a torch there's nothing seeping out round the head gasket.

When I stop the car hot, nothing seems to come out until I have turned it off for a minute or two. then coolant comes dripping off at a fast drip. It is dripping off the back edge of the radiator under the sump guard, which I think is the aircon radiator, but I'm not sure if it is landing on there from higher up, could be off the water pump I guess but I can't see it.

What do you think?

HELP ME!!!!

Dave
    I would guess you have a hose with a small hole in it some where
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Check the metal pipe thats fitted to the bottom of the rad, that the bottom coolant hose fits on to. Could be weak hose clips causing a slow leak when cold, but a drip when hot. I think you'll need to remove the bashplate to see it.

Comment

could be the water pump

underneath at the back of the fan is a bypass hole for when there is to much play in the shaft, on a surf this may dribble down the inside of the cam belt cover.

mine had a similar leak that was just the rad drain tap bottom left rear of rad.
        to see it look from inside the nearside front wing behind the rubber protector.
        Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally
          could be the water pump

underneath at the back of the fan is a bypass hole for when there is to much play in the shaft, on a surf this may dribble down the inside of the cam belt cover.

mine had a similar leak that was just the rad drain tap bottom left rear of rad.
          to see it look from inside the nearside front wing behind the rubber protector.

BINGO

I WOULD SAY COOLANT PUMP. MINE OLD 2.4 DID EXACTLY AS YOU REPORT AND THE PUMP SEAL HAD FAILED.
          I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Originally posted by Medieval Dave

What do you think?

HELP ME!!!!

Dave
            May be a shot in the dark but is it your air con condensor driping or do you have a loss of coolant from your expansion tank.
            BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
              BINGO

I WOULD SAY COOLANT PUMP. MINE OLD 2.4 DID EXACTLY AS YOU REPORT AND THE PUMP SEAL HAD FAILED.

Listen to you, "my old 2.4!"

p.s. No need to shout Al.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                Listen to you, "my old 2.4!"

p.s. No need to shout Al.
                SORRY, was "power typing" did not spot the caps lock was on

At least this explains my sometimes shocking spelling.

Comment

id go with water pump as well with the location you say its coming from- be nice if it was just a hose though!
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                    id go with water pump as well with the location you say its coming from- be nice if it was just a hose though!

Have your cam belt changed whilst the cover is off to do the waterpump. It make a lot of sense to do both together.

Al.

Comment

It stopped leaking. Even after an hour stuck in traffic on a hot day, followed by another 500 miles, not a drop lost, checked the radcap and the bottle.

So I stuck a can of radseal in for luck and gave up.

Comment

Hot day!!?? Where've you been then?

Comment

Working...
                        X