New Surfer - slight problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Surfer - slight problems

Hi, dunno if anyone can help, just bought a '91 Surf LN130 2.4TD Auto, got a couple of minor glitches but running well.

Firstly, 4WD light on dash comes on + flashes with the buzzer to warn you it hasn't gone into 4WD when you try and do it going too fast. But doesn't come on at all when it actually goes into 4WD, is there a simple fix? You can hear the relay or somethin click behind the dash and i know it's going into 4WD. Any thoughts?

Also, signs of rust in the coolant, normal? mine had a new engine 2 years ago, so it can't be from that, but i thought the radiators were supposed to be aluminium. Am i best of draining + flushing the full system and putting new coolant in?

Also seems very juicy, i was expecting it, but how far should 20 quids worth of diesel get me round the town?

Any help or information much appreciated,

cheers in advance

Ian
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Originally posted by nero279
    Hi, dunno if anyone can help, just bought a '91 Surf LN130 2.4TD Auto, got a couple of minor glitches but running well.

Firstly, 4WD light on dash comes on + flashes with the buzzer to warn you it hasn't gone into 4WD when you try and do it going too fast. But doesn't come on at all when it actually goes into 4WD, is there a simple fix? You can hear the relay or somethin click behind the dash and i know it's going into 4WD. Any thoughts?
    Mine does this too you probably need to reverse to disengage it

Also, signs of rust in the coolant, normal? mine had a new engine 2 years ago, so it can't be from that, but i thought the radiators were supposed to be aluminium. Am i best of draining + flushing the full system and putting new coolant in?
    Yes flush it out if you can but this could show you problems such as busted heater matrix etc but you need to have good coolant.

Also seems very juicy, i was expecting it, but how far should 20 quids worth of diesel get me round the town?
    Around the corner? Seriously... 130-200kms or so i reckon.

cheers in advance

Ian
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Don't know if you know this allready but Do not use 4wd on tarmac only on slippery surfaces.
      I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Also, use demineralised water when refilling the cooling system to prevent rust forming inside the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          Also, use demineralised water when refilling the cooling system to prevent rust forming inside the engine.
          Damn! £200 worth of Evian wasted!!!
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I put Perrier water in my BMW years ago, 'cos it over heated when I was in a multi-storey carpark. I made sure that the label was visible when pouring it in.

Comment

Originally posted by nero279

cheers in advance

Ian
              You can reckon on less than 20MPG doing stop start driving around town in traffic. So if you buy your diesel at ASDA (for example) at around 94 pence per litre, you'll get between 80 to 90 miles for your £20.00
              Cheers
              Trev D.

Comment

water?

is de-ionised water the same as demineralised water ???????

Comment

Shouldn't think so. De-ionised has no ions. De-mineralised is pure without a load of dissolved rock in it.
                  Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by jotto
                    Don't know if you know this allready but Do not use 4wd on tarmac only on slippery surfaces.

VERY GOOD ADVICE! Make sure you heed this warning or you will break it.
                    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Also, never use Tizer instead of coolant. I read about a guy who did that in one of those "Day in the life of an AA man" stories. He didn't get too far down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
                        Shouldn't think so. De-ionised has no ions. De-mineralised is pure without a load of dissolved rock in it.
                        Or, to give it another name, distilled water.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                        X