No announcement yet.

dump valve ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I missing something? I thought that there would be little point in having a dump valve on a diesel engine because you don't have a throttle and aren't therefore in danger of closing off the inlet manifold suddenly at high boost pressures.

Because of the lack of a throttle they are controlled electronically on diesels, as is the case on this site http://www.thedervdoctor.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Simon.O.
      O.K here is my two cents worth.
      I had a look at BOV's myself.
      I ended up just disabling the throttle butterfly as its only job really was to engage the EGR ( gone ).
      I found that with the butterfly locked open I was getting much less turbo lag and it was quicker to come on boost through gear changes.
      If you have got a BOV and can be bothered fitting it then great, the effect will be similar.
      Let us know how you go.

But you have a manual gearbox, correct??
      A blow-off valve will be like a broken pencil on an auto.

Comment

Originally posted by contaminated
        Am I missing something? I thought that there would be little point in having a dump valve on a diesel engine because you don't have a throttle and aren't therefore in danger of closing off the inlet manifold suddenly at high boost pressures.

Because of the lack of a throttle they are controlled electronically on diesels, as is the case on this site http://www.thedervdoctor.co.uk/
        Surfs do have a throttle butterfly. A dump valve will work on the manuals. The throttle butterfly also aids in smoother shutdown of the engine. Remove it and the engine will shake more on shutdown.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
          Surfs do have a throttle butterfly. A dump valve will work on the manuals. The throttle butterfly also aids in smoother shutdown of the engine. Remove it and the engine will shake more on shutdown.

Nev
          Absorootly there Nev !!
          I have a manual and the dead butterfly does make it shake on shut down as well as idle a little rougher.
          However the reduction in turbo lag is worth it.
          Real cheap ( free ) mod and highly reccomended for the manual Surfs.
          Simon.O.
          '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Chris,
            The following applies to a 3 litre, I don’t know about the 2.4. There is insufficient inlet manifold vacuum to operate your dump valve so it needs to be connected to the vacuum pump via a solenoid that triggers when you shut the throttle. As it happens Toyota fit one – it operates the small throttle butterfly. So if you T into the vacuum line between the solenoid and the diaphragm that operates the small throttle for your signal you to can have a truck that sounds like it’s got air brakes. I’m afraid it will make you Surf slower.

Comment

OK.

That website was serious wasn't it?. People are really buying a kit to make a noise like a dump valve on a non-turbo car.

Comment

Chris,
                The following applies to a 3 litre, I don’t know about the 2.4. There is insufficient inlet manifold vacuum to operate your dump valve so it needs to be connected to the vacuum pump via a solenoid that triggers when you shut the throttle. As it happens Toyota fit one – it operates the small throttle butterfly. So if you T into the vacuum line between the solenoid and the diaphragm that operates the small throttle for your signal you to can have a truck that sounds like it’s got air brakes. I’m afraid it will make you Surf slower.
                Ahhh slow maybe but SOUND faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Medieval Dave
                  OK.

That website was serious wasn't it?. People are really buying a kit to make a noise like a dump valve on a non-turbo car.
                  'fraid so mate. Doesn't it make you feel so superior to them?

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Bikenuts
                    throttle. As it happens Toyota fit one – it operates the small throttle butterfly. So if you T into the vacuum line between the solenoid and the diaphragm that operates the small throttle
                    Can you provide a picture of this for me please mate.

I had a quick look and see 2 solenoids and don't know which one to T.
                    1994 Toyota Hilux Surf 3L SSR-X Limited (Manual)

Comment

Working...
                    X